Author: wanzheli

Chinese should respect their mother tongue first ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-19 09:23:01 |Display all floors
now there are lots of foreigners learning Chinese too.
ppl speaking two languages is better than one,isn't it?
this trend that many chinese are learning English doesn't means that our Chinese are abandoning our mother language.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 09:57:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-8-18 22:41
last week I read a news on Sohu wich is one of the most popular websites in China ,saying before learning English ,the Chinese people should respect their mother language first .with so many people ...

It is always sad when a part of one's culture dissapears and it is good to preserve our identities. However, China has joined the international culture where the most commonly used language, especially in business, is English.

But just as you question the desirability of the inevitable loss of the Chinese ''Mandarin'' language, you should equally question the loss of regional languages in China that are steadily being lost to ''Mandarin'' Chinese. ''Mandarin'' Chinese is winning because it is the official language in China as recognised by the government. If the relationship between China and the rest of the world consolidates then the government may recommend that English becoming the prime language would be in China's best interests. But by the time this happens, political correctness will be describing English as ''International'' English to take the sting out of adopting the language.

In the UK the prime language is English although there are other languages still spoken by the minorities in Ireland, Scotland and Wales etc. In Wales they have restored the teaching of the Welsh language in schools. It has given the Welsh a sense of pride and restored some lost culture. However, it serves little practical use unless you include irritating the English speakers who cannot prounounce the location names, read the road signs, understand the TV or understand when the Welsh are saying rude things about the English. I think that's what we all call revenge.

We wait and see.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 10:10:03 |Display all floors

Or are we foreigners learning Chinese?

Originally posted by ghost156 at 2007-8-19 09:23
now there are lots of foreigners learning Chinese too.
ppl speaking two languages is better than one,isn't it?
this trend that many chinese are learning English doesn't means that our Chinese ar ...

My wife speaks a Chendu dialect as her first language. I bought many language aids so that I could communicate in ''Mandarin'' Chinese. Regrettable, she does speak ''Mandarin'' Chinese very well so it was an excercise doomed to failure. Now she is teaching me her local dialect coupled with many slang words. But we have no teaching aids for this so progress is very slow especially as she is not a good teacher and I am not a good pupil.

So our common language is English - sad but true.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 10:25:09 |Display all floors

What is Chinese? What is English?

Originally posted by fatdragon at 2007-8-18 19:57
But just as you question the desirability of the inevitable loss of the Chinese ''Mandarin'' language, you should equally question the loss of regional languages in China that are steadily being lost to ''Mandarin'' Chinese. ''Mandarin'' Chinese is winning because it is the official language in China as recognised by the government.

It looks like Fatdragon hit the nail on the head about offical and de-facto languages.  Officially - Mandarin is the "Chinese national language", even though Cantonese, Shanghai, and Szeschuan are still in major practice.  Unoffically - English (in its many dialects) is considered the de-facto language of science, math, and many other professions.  Only time and our great grand-children is going to tell which language or dialect is going to used.

Personally, they will probably speak an America version of English with heavy Chinese and Spanish adaptations.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 10:56:05 |Display all floors
actually ,i made the post warn people of this abnormal phenomenon
when parents arrange their kids study schedule ,english always has the priority
and with more and more use of the internet ,many students will lose the ability to write Chinese characters ,as this language is hard to acquire and easy to lose
several months ago ,there was another survey shows that many Chinese students have poor Chinese skills ,they mis-interpreted Mencius's popular quote .i think many pals remember this news also on Sohu .
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 13:38:34 |Display all floors

hope the sys works better today

Well,I think ur thread is suggestive,but do not over worried.
English and chinese is like sister and brother,they are a supplement to each other.
If you could speak and write good English,your must learn well of Madrian,otherwise,you won't interprete the two different language very well.
For me English is easier than Chinese to learn..:)
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 14:34:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by shelleybelly at 2007-8-19 13:38
For me English is easier than Chinese to learn ...

When I am surounded by 1.4 billion Chinese all speaking Chinese

and I hear some words in Chinese

that are totaly unpronouncable

because my brain cannot understand the sound

then it is

a humbling experience.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.