Views: 6118|Replies: 24

Chinese should respect their mother tongue first ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-18 22:41:54 |Display all floors
last week I read a news on Sohu wich is one of the most popular websites in China ,saying before learning English ,the Chinese people should respect their mother language first .with so many people speaking this language ,the Chinese language won't become a dead language like many small country languages ,but it certainly can be marginalized .
  in singapore ,the most influencial language is English ,though 70% of its citizens have Chinese blood ,this is a case showning that how Chinese can be marginalized .
  in some companiese especially so-called foreign -invested companies ,the working language is English ,they speak ,write in English .i am not adverse to using English ,but i don't think they should use this foreign language so often .
  another survey done by the ministry of education s\suggests that some college students spend 70of their time in studying english and  many other students spend 50 percent or more .
  friends ,do you think English will endanger Chinese language's position ?
  should we take any actions to stop this terrible trend ?
  please leave your comments!
The Sun rises every day from the East !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 00:52:00 |Display all floors

-

English is a more effecient language. Compared to Chinese it is simple.... No, I really don't think Chinese will become a dead language and English will not be the only language spoken on earth.

English improves China's position due to the increase of more concise and accurate  information gained. There are times my Chinese friends and I have to stop and explain what we are trying to say in both languages but that happens less and less as we both learn the rules of each other's language, still, how an idea is presented in one language and interpreted into another is risky and prone to mis-interpretation. I remember when one of our presidents spoke to the Russian people. He tried to speak Russian and told the people, "I want to make love to the Russian people"..... It caused quite a stir.

Yesterday I picked up seven graduate students who will go to our university. Their English was perfect and much better than most Americans. Speaking both languages allows us to see things in different ways that we would not ordinarily see.  As our world becomes more technical, we need a common language that clears the way for our progress.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 03:57:07 |Display all floors
The Chinese language is equal to the English language.
It is a waste of time to spend so much time learning English.
People should just use more Chinese.
And promote the use of Chinese language internationally by setting up hundreds of confucius institutes around the world.
Foreigners should be required to learn more chinese to do business in china.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 06:46:44 |Display all floors
If these chinese stuents spend so much time studying english, why do they speak it so badly?

I don't think you have anything to worry about, since most chinese students are lazy and don't learn to speak english very well. English will never substitute chinese, this is just another filler waste of time subject.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 06:49:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wanzheli at 2007-8-18 22:41

Yes I agree that Chinese people definitely should respect and protect their written and spoken Chinese language and many of their dialects.:)

Yes I also agree that English speaking people should respect and protect their English language and many of their dialects.:)

A terrible trend?...learning English by Chinese is a terrible trend?...Is learning Chinese by foreigners a terrible trend?:)

What makes you think learning English is a terrible trend...may I ask how many percentage of the total Chinese population is learning English?...and what is the common language spoken in China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 06:50:42 |Display all floors

Yes I agree that Chinese people definitely should respect and protect their written and spoken Chinese language and many of their dialects.:)

Yes I also agree that English speaking people should respect and protect their English language and many of their dialects.:)

A terrible trend?...learning English by Chinese is a terrible trend?...Is learning Chinese by foreigners a terrible trend?:)

What makes you think learning English is a terrible trend...may I ask how many percentage of the total Chinese population is learning English?...and what is the common language spoken in China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-19 06:58:37 |Display all floors
in singapore ,the most influencial language is English ,though 70% of its citizens have Chinese blood ,this is a case showning that how Chinese can be marginalized .

Singapore is not China...Singapore is a separate nation!...it has it's own constitutional rights to determine it's own official languages.

Would you like to see everyone on this planet earth speaking Chinese?:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.