Author: xiayiqiang

Korean hostages rest in the hands of Hamid Karzai and Bush??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-25 20:58:02 |Display all floors
Learn something useful, nosferatu:

Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-8-25 12:03
Bottom line : Get the hell out of other peoples' countries unless welcomed .

A very simple lesson really.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-27 20:26:28 |Display all floors

Reply #35/#36 --- mengzhi's/changabula's posts...

mengzhi wrote:

"#1. Afghanis and Iraqis are being massacred simply because the US went into their countries and messed them up . "

===>  I believe the Kurds in northern Iraq would disagree with you.  And the women of Afghanistan consider the US presence a 'liberation' from the subjugation of reactionary Islamic law.

mengzhi wrote:

"#2. The South Korean government can impose a " no visit " ban to Afghanistan for the duration of the war . This is well within the democratic rights of a government . The US has forbidden her citizens from visiting all sorts of countries the government disliked , and on much more flimsy grounds "

===>  No disagreement here.  I just wanted to point out that the United States does not have the authority to control where South Korean citizens travel to.

changabula referenced mengzhi:

"QUOTE:
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-8-25 12:03
Bottom line : Get the hell out of other peoples' countries unless welcomed .
A very simple lesson really. "

===>  This would also apply to Tibet and Taiwan, unless you are selectively applying this lesson to everyone but China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-27 21:41:27 |Display all floors

I am off this merry-go-round.

nos,

I am getting off this merry-go-round . Just to set  the records straight before I go :

#1. No one in the whole of Iraq is happy with the jackboots stomping all over their  land . The poor citizens are without the basics for living :  running water , electricity , education and medical care . Thousands of them are being maimed or killed and there is no end in sight . This myth that the Kurds ( or Shiites or Sunnis ) are thankful for the invasion without security is just codswallop and you know it . Have never seen any native garlanding the " Conquering Caesar " with flowers yet .

#2.  Tibet and Taiwan have been part of China since Adam was a boy . No comparison. If you want to make a red-herring diversion , tell us why the " Red Indians " should not have their land back : the land someone stole from them and named it the USA ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-29 04:22:04 |Display all floors

News Flash.

There is a successful outcome after talks in Kabul between the South Korean government representatives and the Taliban.  The 22 Korean hostages will be released within the next 3 days on condition that :

#1. South Korea will stop further missionary work in Afghanistan by her Christians and

#2. South Korea will keep its promise to withdraw her 200 troops left in Afghanistan before the end of the year.

A win-win situation for both sides. Negotiations between adult parties, lives spared or saved and everyone is happy.  Imagine if recalcitrance had prevailed . The Koreans will be dead and the war deepens. With this everyone comes away with his dignity intact . Future moves and plans will have to be altered to prevent the repeat of this anxiety ridden episode. What is wrong with it ?  Thank god for sanity .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-29 21:22:28 |Display all floors

Reply #39 --- mengzhi's post....

You wrote:

"#1. South Korea will stop further missionary work in Afghanistan by her Christians and

#2. South Korea will keep its promise to withdraw her 200 troops left in Afghanistan before the end of the year.

A win-win situation for both sides. "

===>  First, South Korea had already planned to withdraw its forces by the end of the year.

Secondly, you should speak to the families of the two South Koreans killed by these terrorists, and let them know that their nation achieved a victory.

Finally, now terrorists all over the world know they can exert leverage and power over South Korea if they are able to kidnap a group of their innocent citizens.  Especially if they prove they are serious by killing a few.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-30 14:46:02 |Display all floors

Sanity reigns.

nosferatu,

Stop being the prima donna and a drama queen. You should join in the rejoicing and celebrations to see that apart from the two tragic deaths , all the rest are alive and well. You  are a hard master aren't you : you want pure victory even if all the hostages pay their lives for your " principle " ?  

You give the " terrorists " too much kudos . They are not ONE gigantic monolithic juggernaut with a single command and control . There is a network of franchisees out there called the McAl-Qaeda . There are copy cats to insurgents to wannabes and pure criminals with lunatics. Relax nos , this is not the precedent to an avalanche of kidnappings . Take home message ;  if you are not there, you cannot be kidnapped .

Join us and enjoy a beer or three , in thanks giving for this win-win outcome because sanity and cool minds prevailed . The families are over the moon and the young men and women can move on . Victory to Sanity .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-30 21:21:21 |Display all floors

Reply #41 --- mengzhi' post...

You wrote:

"You should join in the rejoicing and celebrations to see that apart from the two tragic deaths , all the rest are alive and well. .... you want pure victory even if all the hostages pay their lives for your " principle " ?  "

==>  My definition of victory is to greatly reduce the occurence of kidnappings/killings by terrorists, preferrably by eliminating the terrorists themselves.  You seem to accept a 'tie', where only a few innocent civilians are murdered.  One murder by any terrorist group is one too many.

You wrote:

"They are not ONE gigantic monolithic juggernaut with a single command and control . There is a network of franchisees out there called the McAl-Qaeda ....  if you are not there, you cannot be kidnapped ."

==>  I have always used the word terrorists as a plural, and never presented any discussion that viewed these cowardly organizations as being under control of one central group/authority.  Not sure how this is supposed to relate to my points.

You will need to define 'there' to me.  Although the 9/11 terrorist act was not a kidnapping, many civilians were killed, and the definition of 'there' in this case was in my home country.  I would re-phrase this last statement to:  "If you are not there, you can still be kidnapped or killed."

You wrote:

"Join us and enjoy a beer or three , in thanks giving for this win-win outcome because sanity and cool minds prevailed . The families are over the moon and the young men and women can move on . Victory to Sanity . "

==>  I am grateful that not all of the hostages were killed, but this was not a victory.  Perhaps we can discuss this again when the next group of South Korean hostages are being held for some political objective.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.