Views: 12389|Replies: 45

Russia Plants Flag Under North Pole [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-8-4 01:38:42 |Display all floors
U.S. sees no "legal standing" for Russia flag-planting in Arctic

10:48, August 03, 2007

The United States said on Thursday that Russia's flag-planting in Arctic has no legal standing to claim for rights to the mineral-rich region.

"I'm not sure of whether they've put a metal flag, a rubber flag or a bed sheet on the ocean floor," State Department spokesman Tom Casey said of an expedition by two Russian submarines to the floor of the Arctic Ocean.

It was reported that Russians had planted a banner of rust-proof titanium as a symbol of Moscow's claim over a vast expanses of the Arctic floor.

"Either way, it doesn't have any legal standing or effect on this claim," Casey said, noting "it certainly to us doesn't represent any kind of substantive claim, and I certainly haven't heard anyone else make the argument that it does."

Casey made the remarks after Russian mini-subs completed their visit to the seabed under the North Pole.

Russian President Vladimir Putin called the mission participants after their return, congratulating them on a successful mission, the Kremlin said.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/6231057.html

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-8-4 01:40 AM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 01:41:00 |Display all floors
Russian sub plants flag under North Pole

09:00, August 03, 2007

Russian explorers dived deep below the North Pole in a submersible yesterday and planted their national flag on the seabed to stake a symbolic claim to the energy riches of the Arctic.

A mechanical arm dropped a specially made, rust-proof titanium flag painted with the Russian tricolor onto the Arctic seabed at a depth of 4,261 meters.

"It was so lovely down there," ITAR-TASS news agency quoted expedition leader Artur Chilingarov as saying as he emerged from one of two submersibles that made the dive.

"If a hundred or a thousand years from now someone goes down to where we were, they will see the Russian flag," said Chilingarov, 67, also a top pro-Kremlin member of parliament.

Russia wants to extend right up to the North Pole the territory it controls in the Arctic, believed to hold vast reserves of untapped oil and natural gas, which is expected to become more accessible as climate change melts the ice.

But Canada mocked Russia's ambitions and said the expedition was nothing more than a show. "This isn't the 15th century. You can't go around the world and just plant flags and say 'We're claiming this territory'," Canadian Foreign Minister Peter MacKay told CTV television.

Under international law, the five states with territory inside the Arctic Circle - Canada, Norway, Russia, the United States and Denmark via its control of Greenland - have a 320 km economic zone around the north of their coastline.

Russia is claiming a larger slice extending as far as the pole because, Moscow says, the Arctic seabed and Siberia are linked by one continental shelf.

"Then Russia can give foundation to its claim to more than a million square kilometers of the oceanic shelf," said a newsreader for Russia's state news channel Vesti-24, which made the expedition their top news story.

Russian media have said the move could raise tension with the United States in a battle for Arctic gas.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90777/90853/6230958.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 01:43:09 |Display all floors
The Mir-I is one of two Russian craft that dived to the Arctic floor

MIR MANNED SUBMERSIBLE

Can dive to maximum depth of 6,000m
Three-man cockpit made of 5cm-thick nickel/steel sphere, inner diameter: 2.1m
Total length: 7.8m
Weight: 18.6 tons
Launched and recovered with special crane from research ship
Equipped with manipulator arms

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6927395.stm
sub.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 01:45:37 |Display all floors
The North Pole is not currently regarded as part of any single country's territory and is therefore administered by the International Seabed Authority.

RUSSIA'S ARCTIC CLAIM

1) North Pole: Russia leaves its flag on the seabed, 4,000m (13,100ft) beneath the surface, as part of its claims for oil and gas reserves
2) Lomonosov Ridge: Russia argues that this underwater feature is an extension of its continental territory and is looking for evidence
3) 200-nautical mile (370km) line: Shows how far countries' agreed economic area extends beyond their coastline. Often set from outlying islands
4) Russian-claimed territory: The bid to claim a vast area is being closely watched by other countries. Some could follow suit

map
arctic_russia.gif

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 01:49:04 |Display all floors
It's a very important move for Russia to demonstrate its potential in the Arctic... It's like putting a flag on the Moon

-- Sergei Balyasnikov (Russian Arctic and Antarctic Institute)
arctic.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 02:46:56 |Display all floors

Hm...

As much as you enjoy these sort of threads Changbula - you do need to ask yourself - how will this affect Chinese Oil Imports in the Future?

For all the investment in the Middle East and Africa - China is going to have to come to Russia, Canada, Norway, Denmark, and/or (the horrors) America for future enegry supplies.
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-4 05:22:53 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.