:-)

[ Last edited by hly_abc at 2007-8-2 07:43 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-2 20:07:43 |Display all floors
thx

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-2 20:15:24 |Display all floors
How very true!

Just now, I was watching an episode of the BBC quiz show, The Weakest Link. One of the contestants, Barbara, was a very "good" person. She had a great general knowledge; she followed the rules of the game to the letter; she voted fair and square. Another contestant, Marc, voted off potentially his worst opponent, a university student who had an astounding range of knowledge, through a tactical gameplay, when the latter was not the weakest link in that round. When Marc was questioned why he had chosen to vote off that particular person instead of the real weakest link in that round, he said - Because he's too good and I can't beat him in the last round, but I can handle the other two. The host then asked, "So you are making a public display of your fear?" "Yes." "Do you think it's immoral?" "No."
Both Barbara and Marc made it to the final round and they played against each other. I prayed that Barbara would win. But, no, Barbara was beaten, simply because she was unlucky with the questions she got. The questions were randomly assigned, and she got a rougher deal. Marc won and walked away with 3000 pounds.
No good person goes unpunished. Ha!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-2 20:35:59 |Display all floors
It sounds interesting.Can you give me the link to that web address?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-8-2 21:56:50 |Display all floors
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weakestlink/
This is the homepage of this game. The Weakest Link is as successful as Who Wants To Be a Millionnaire, both invented by the Brits, the former being the baby of BBC and the latter, the pride of BBC's rival ITV.
Both are lucrative exports for the British television industry. I watch it on pay tv and the channel is called BBC Entertainment (formerly BBC Prime).
When it was still very much "indigenous" to Britain, i.e. before it was exported, the contestants were by and large rather fair-minded and they voted out whoever they thought was the weakest link in each round. But soon after it landed in Hong Kong (called 一笔勾销, hosted by 郑裕玲), the flavour changed and tactical voting (i.e. voting out whoever you think would pose the greatest threat to you in the following rounds, not the person who you think didn't do well in the previous round) became the norm.
I've been told that the Chinese version of Who Wants To Be a Millionnaire is 开心词典。I don't know if it's true, but a distinctive feature of the Millionnaire game is its three lifelines: Ask the Audience, 50/50 and Phone a Friend. If a game has these three lifelines or variations of these three lifelines, then it's likely to be an exported version or a copy of Who Wants To Be a Millionnaire.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.