Views: 27385|Replies: 74

Inventiveness - China being Creative? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-30 23:41:43 |Display all floors
Here is a very interesting bit of research about patients.  It is interesting that China lags in this department.  Then again - it is easier to copy than it is to invent.

Patents

Inventiveness
Jul 30th 2007
From Economist.com

INVENTIVE Japan grants more patents than any other country. In 2002-05, on average 1,213 were given out for every million people, according to data collected for 82 countries by the Economist Intelligence Unit. But this impressive number is partly explained by multiple counting: each part of a new product required a separate patent application. Elsewhere, the parts would all be submitted in one. Generally, small countries grant the most patents. Switzerland, Sweden and Finland benefit from clusters of world-class companies in high-tech sectors and a highly educated workforce. Israel can thank its well-educated immigrants. Crumbling Cuba grants more patents than fast-growing India or China, though both countries are better known for their ability to copy, rather than create, intellectual property.
Patents.jpg
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 00:23:26 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 05:42:48 |Display all floors
What a stupid statement.

Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-7-30 23:41
Here is a very interesting bit of research about patients.  It is interesting that China lags in this department.  Then again - it is easier to copy than it is to invent.

Pate ...

Who makes the rules for patents?

Yes, America who incidentally makes it difficult for everyone else in the non-western world to apply for patents.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 05:47:06 |Display all floors
American patents are a rip-off of other nations resources.

Take one example: these robbers have stolen countless Chinese medicines and herbs and then turn them into drugs and then have the gall to patent them. They have even stolen countless Chinese traditional Medicine and patented them so as to exclude the originators from China and India from financial gain.

I think that i will have to make up a thread on this patent rip-off when I get some time.

As my pal jetsam would have said: thieving vermin scum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 05:52:48 |Display all floors
Pay to Obey

* Sign In to E-Mail This
    * Print
    * Save

Article Tools Sponsored By
Published: October 31, 2006

The broken American patent system has a knack for sanctioning the ridiculous. In the latest example, businesses are receiving patents for devising ways to obey the law — the tax code, to be more specific. What’s next, a patented murder defense?

As Floyd Norris reported recently in The Times, the broad category known as business-method patents (like patenting the idea of pizza delivery rather than the pizza itself) has expanded once again. Now it includes the legal ways that accountants and lawyers help their clients pay less tax.

Once the Patent and Trademark Office has granted one of these patents, everyone who uses the same legal shelter — even if they draw the conclusion based on their own interpretation of the tax code — will be subject to lawsuits and even injunctions against using the method at all.

Defenders of these tax-strategy patents argue that they won’t affect the average person’s struggle with the 1040 form each April. The easy stuff should be rejected under the usual standard that requires patents to be novel and not obvious. Tax-strategy patents, they argue, are more geared toward the complicated tax returns of rich people.

While we don’t normally rush to make it easier for the rich to pay less tax, the precedent is a bad one. People should be treated the same under the law, and shouldn’t have to pay a licensing fee for the privilege. Congress needs to make spurious patents easier to challenge across the board, and should consider clarifying what may be patented. Recent technological advances raise questions about how patents apply to genes and life forms, or what standard should cover old business models on the Internet.

Patents are supposed to encourage innovation, rewarding the individual for the greater good of society. But excessive or overly broad patents can slow business activity to the pace of cold molasses. And we sure don’t need something else to worry about on tax day.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 05:53:14 |Display all floors
New York Times hits out at the broken American patent system

The broken American patent system has a knack for sanctioning the ridiculous. In the latest example, businesses are receiving patents for devising ways to obey the law — the tax code, to be more specific. What’s next, a patented murder defense?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-31 05:53:49 |Display all floors
Why the hell are the moderators preventing my posts?

I managed to get this link in:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/3 ... serland&emc=rss

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.