Views: 3283|Replies: 7

get the hook out [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-26 14:42:24 |Display all floors
1. CIOs should come from the business – not the technology – ranks: technology-rooted CIOs will never really understand the importance of business as the technology driver. When prospective CIOs start talking about network latency and virtualization it’s time to get the hook out; go with the pro talking about up-selling and cross-selling every time.
只查得get the hook这个短语,两者是一码事吗?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-26 17:31:01 |Display all floors
Originally posted by clearwater at 2007-7-26 14:42
1. CIOs should come from the business – not the technology – ranks: technology-rooted CIOs will never really understand the importance of business as the technology driver. When prospective CIOs  ...

钩子一挥, those useless _prospective_ CIOs 就不见了? Only guessing, no idea why if it means what I think it means, it's not a big bad knife instead.

[ Last edited by rouofhk at 2007-7-26 05:32 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-26 17:40:28 |Display all floors

fyi

Sometimes the fish will swallow the fly and you will have to clip the line (if you are releasing your fish it is very important to try to get the hook out .

get/let someone off the hook
to allow someone to escape from a difficult situation or to avoid doing something that they do not want to do. John's agreed to go to the meeting in my place, so that lets me off the hook.
See also: let

这里是另一个意思,对于开始谈论。。的。。不如就算了,将他们予以排除在外,不再进行考虑了。

另一个:
Keep a pair of needle nose wire snips handy. Sometimes the fish will swallow the fly and you will have to clip the line (if you are releasing your fish it is very important to try to get the hook out without further injuring the fish, you want them to survive being released - however, if you cannot get the hook out, clip the line and the hook will dissolve over time).

值得注意的是,

下面两个说法意思有一些不同:
get (or give someone) the hook N. Amer.   
informal
be dismissed (or dismiss someone) from a job.

这里是get the hook out,表示主动对某为CIO放弃。

收钩?

[ Last edited by hly_abc at 2007-7-26 05:49 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-27 07:59:48 |Display all floors
谢谢!
我开始还以为it’s time to get the hook out是对prospective CIOs 说的,原来是对用人方说的。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-27 09:03:23 |Display all floors
No, I think the reference to "get the hook out" is this:

If someone is very bad on stage (as in an old-style vaudeville routine), a giant hook would come out, loop around that person's neck and drag that person offstage. (You see it in cartoons sometimes.)

So, "get the hook out" means to get rid of someone, usually unceremoniously.

[To clarify: It means "bring out the hook" to get rid of the person. It's a somewhat humorous phrase.]

[ Last edited by jeff_in_sf at 2007-7-26 05:06 PM ]
4744.jpg
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-27 09:10:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2007-7-27 09:03

If someone is very bad on stage (as in an old-style vaudeville routine), a giant hook would come out, loop around that person's ...

Thank you, Jeff!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-27 09:30:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jeff_in_sf at 2007-7-27 09:03

If someone is very bad on stage (as in an old-style vaudeville routine), a giant hook would come out, loop around that person's ...

Thank you jeff!

已经记在小本本里了
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish 求知若饥, 虚心若愚
www.youtube.com/watch?v=60cDHb-tvMA

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.