Author: schreiber

Bigotry on ChinaDailyBBS [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-18 11:41:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1st_resp at 2007-7-18 11:28

Uh ... yeah, we do, but not easily. The older generation accepts it fine. Those of us born with the boomers bristle, and the youngest prefer their tribe name (if they know it, and many do).

Well, I am happy to be a ''FATdragon'' rather than a ''European dragon with generous proportions''.

Sometimes we are just too sensitive about the intended insults and play right into the bigots' hands. Perhaps if we could learn to ignore the intended insult then they would soon get bored and grow up.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 11:49:03 |Display all floors
honestly.. fags...

is it the language thats hurts you or the meaning of the post?

and is language really even relevant?

isnt it just poor usage of the English language?

and should we try to see through to the meaning?

you're a faggot f*cking idiot..

normal pople read that as "i dont't like you or your comments"

faggot crybabies cry about the f*cking language

if i said " hey @sshole, your f*cking hair is on fire you stupid f*cking queer"

would you complain about the use of strong language?

probably would

queer

(translate queer to mean something less offensive if you are a queer... look to the meaning.. you should think something like.. "maybe we are bungholes")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 12:11:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1337assassin at 2007-7-18 11:49
honestly.. fags...

is it the language thats hurts you or the meaning of the post?

and is language really even relevant?

isnt it just poor usage of the English language?

and should we tr ...

For the record I am not, as you describe, a faggot. However, if you were to adress me as such, especially if it was accompanied by some of the swear words you ascribe to then, you would make it painfully clear that it was your intention to insult me. It is not poor English usage but a very obvious form of verbal abuse. That is offensive. It invites an offensive response.

If indiginous Americans are not comfortable with the word ''Indian'' then I would avoid using it and use a term of address that is more socially acceptable to them regardless of my understanding of the word.

I guess it all comes down to the quality of your education. My parents taught me to be polite and over the years I have refined my understanding and my attitudes as the result of exposure to different cultures and ideas. But political correctness still gets up my nose - A manhole cover is just that - it is not a personhole cover. Man as in mankind - not peoplekind. There just must be more important things to get upset about in this world.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 13:23:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by fatdragon at 2007-7-17 19:41

Well, I am happy to be a ''FATdragon'' rather than a ''European dragon with generous proportions''.

Sometimes we are just too sensitive about the intended insults and play right in ...

hehehe I hear ya. I am so blessed as well. Something to be said about building a shed over your tool. :)
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 13:27:03 |Display all floors
Originally posted by 1st_resp at 2007-7-18 13:23

Something to be said about building a shed over your tool. :)

I think that could have been better phrased.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 13:53:22 |Display all floors

Talking to children

To espouse the theory mentioned above

all foreigners seen in China talking to children are paedophiles.

Problem with that is that if you are a foreigner in China and you don't talk to all the snotty kids whose parents thrust them upon you in restaurants then you are classed as a miserable **tard.

Sadly, I have met few children in Chengdu who understand

"Go back over there and tell your parents I won't speak to you for less than 500 RMB per minute"

I don't think foreign perverts are a bigger problem than local ones. A girl told me that a guy was masterbating on the bus but they were too shy to do anything about him.

Imagine if a foreigner tried to do that!

Sorry- is espouse a gay, faggot word. Well it just means an electronic wife
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 13:59:51 |Display all floors

My main shock with the children

were the crutchless pants! peeing freely in the streets

I thought it was so wrong for many reasons and unhygenic! yuck yuck!

One  tried to make me hold the baby for a photo I pushed the stinking thing back in a hurry...
°★·°∴° ☆.·°∴°.☆°★°∴°

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.