Author: taikor

BBC biased against China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-22 00:16:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 21-7-2007 04:09 PM
We are biased, admit the stars of BBC News  

China is not mentioned in that article.

So, links to BBC news articles please. Thank you.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 00:36:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2007-7-22 00:16
China is not mentioned in that article.
So, links to BBC news articles please. Thank you.

Coming soon...

By the way you admit BBS is biased?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 00:43:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 21-7-2007 04:36 PM
Coming soon...

By the way you admit BBS is biased?

BBS? Yes - this BBS is very biased

BBC? I don't admit anything until I have seen the facts. I have plenty of news sources here to compare. I have also watched and listened to programmes where the BBC has been critical of itself.

I very much prefer those who make claims to back themselves up with evidence. So far there has been much opinion and very little evidence.

The specific question for the topic here is the BBC and how it reports news about China.

BTW, what is your opinion on the issue of CCTV and misinformation?
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 01:07:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2007-7-22 00:43
BBS? Yes - this BBS is very biased  ...

Ohh? This is weird accussation, because BBS is comprised of numerous individuals postings, of course it full of different opinion. It's not a matter of bias or not.

BTW, what is your opinion on the issue of CCTV and misinformation?

CCTV is government news agency and it stands by the government. So it doesn't need to claim it's impartial, balanced as BBC's... but at the same time serve government agenda.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 01:26:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 21-7-2007 05:07 PM
Ohh? This is weird accussation, because BBS is comprised of numerous individuals postings, of course it full of different opinion. It's not a matter of bias or not.

I assume your use of BBS was a typo ... hence the smiley.

I didn't mention the postings, however think about the moderation of the BBS .... Actually right now, the mods seem to be asleep so anything goes.

Of course there is a bias here - the same bias that might be applied to CCTV.

Originally posted by northwest at 21-7-2007 05:07 PM
CCTV is government news agency and it stands by the government. So it doesn't need to claim it's impartial, balanced as BBC's... but at the same time serve government agenda.

That does not make misinformation acceptable.

Anyway, let me know when you have some BBC stories about China which fit the bias claim.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 02:52:04 |Display all floors

Ah ha ...

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-07/20/content_5440679.htm

7 more people penalized in fabricated story
(AP)
Updated: 2007-07-20 19:12

At least seven more people have been fired or reprimanded over an allegedly fake television report about street vendors selling buns stuffed with chemically treated cardboard, state media reported Friday.

Reportedly shot with a hidden camera, the story briefly came to symbolize China's food safety woes that have alarmed people at home and hammered its reputation as a food and drug exporter.

Footage appeared to show a makeshift kitchen where people made fluffy buns stuffed a little bit of fatty pork and cardboard that had been softened in a bath of caustic soda.

The report prompted Beijing's health authorities to carry out a spot check of more than two dozen vendors selling the pork buns _ a common breakfast in China. None were found to be using cardboard.

The story was first broadcast on Beijing Television's Life Channel on July 8 and then shown again on China Central Television last week. It created a buzz on the Internet, with netizens flooding chatrooms with comments expressing shock and disgust. On the YouTube Web site, the video had been viewed more than 7,000 times by Friday.

The reporter who allegedly made the report, Zi Beijia, has already been detained by police and Beijing Television issued an apology late Wednesday saying the report was not true.

Zi allegedly offered to do a story about poor hygeine at meat bun stalls but failed to find any problems during two weeks of reporting. Facing pressure from his editor, he decided to fake the news, the state-run Xinhua News Agency said.

The official Xinhua News Agency and the Beijing Daily both reported Friday that the head of Beijing Television, Liu Aiqin, was publicly reprimanded and its editor-in-chief, Zhang Xiao, was given a warning.

One deputy editor-in-chief was given a demerit, Xinhua said, quoting sources the Beijing Municipal Committee of the Communist Party of China.

The news reports said at least four other officials connected with the program that aired the report had been fired.

"The Communist Party committee at the station met and decided to start deep reforms and educational work using this case as a negative example," the Beijing Daily said.

An official with the general office of Beijing Television, who gave only his surname Li, said Friday that his office had nothing further to add to the Beijing Daily report.

Li referred questions to Zhang Songhua, the station's vice president, who did not return a call from the Associated Press.

Attempts to reach family members of Zi Beijia were not successful. Calls to the Beijing police department were not answered.

In its apology, a Beijing Television news anchor said Zi "used deceptive means to get the footage on the air." No specifics were provided.

Beijing Television explained that an investigation revealed that in mid-June, Zi brought meat, flour, cardboard and other ingredients to a downtown Beijing neighborhood and had four migrant workers make the buns for him while he filmed the process.

It said Zi "gave them the idea" of mincing softened cardboard and adding it to the buns.

Over to the usual suspects to explain this one

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 02:54:59 |Display all floors

One of the Bad Ones Slipped Through

The manager of the station should really be held responsible, for allowing this unsophisticated hoax to air.

Cardboard soaked in caustic soda?  Do you know how bitter that would be (pH of what?  14?).  To think that mixing it with a bit of pork fat would make it eatable, is simply silly.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.