Views: 6783|Replies: 10

My way to practise listening [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-24 09:14:19 |Display all floors
I am the administrator of english community LifeInChina.cn

I wanna share my personal english study experience with you here

My way to practise listening
Most people here believe original movies and TV shows are a good way to practise english listening.

What would you choose from two typical types of sources?

1. original vedios without subtitles
2. original vedios with chinese subtitles

The first choice maybe too hard for most english learners.
But if you choose the second way, it may not be effective.

I prefer the combination of the two.

That is,

First watch the source vedio with chinese subtitles, which helps you to figure out what the story is and what's the relationship between people.

If you are watching DVD, just close the subtitles and watch the same vedio again.

Write down your questions, and find a place to communicate with friends on them. LICMovie and TV Shows forums will be your good choice.

You can also find out some comments by native speakers and some notes written by others. Most people had learnt a lot from Poseidon's LIC Friend English Notes series.

Actually you can write your own notes if you are a real movie fan.

Steps:
Find your favorite shows,
Get to know the story,
Listen by yourself without interference of chinese subtitles,
Working on your homework to solve those problems and questions,
Write down your comments,
Invite others to comment on you and share experiences with others.

These days I am watching Desperate Housewives . And every morning there would be about an hour of listening on the story I'd seen last night.

Click to tell your friends about My way to practise listening : http://www.lifeinchina.cn/viewthread.php?tid=5185
[URL=HTTP://www.lifeinchina.cn]www.lifeinchina.cn[/URL]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-24 18:34:13 |Display all floors
What u said is absolutely correct,thank you for your sharing.let's share more good movies and study English better from them.More good moives,more fun and more achievement!^_^
My blog:http://i.cn.yahoo.com/zhangxinyue.2008

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-24 22:52:14 |Display all floors
I agree. That is an excellent way to become familiar with a foreign language - watch a movie with and without the subtitles. I prefer to watch films "in language" rather than overdubbed. I think you miss the impact of the dialogue. Not necessarilly the acting of the characters, but the words themselves. The artistry of the movie is changed (often ruined) when it is overdubbed. That said, I can see where a language student would benefit from becoming familiar with a script - they would slowly understand the pronunciations of the characters better with each viewing.

That is how I taught myself Spanish. I am no master at it, but we can talk to each other especially when we mix English and Spanish words. I watched Spanish language television, and slowly absorbed the words. The commercials were especially helpful since I knew the products, and understood the advertisement. Quite often the shows carry a second language subtitle that you can turn on to help you understand the story. While you cannot replay a television show, you can get to know the characters and what their likely words will be. Turning subtitles on and off is very helpful for learning a language indeed.

Tiny thread swerve - I hope you don't mind - There is a Russian movie based on the language differences of the main characters.

Kukushka (Cuckoo)

Three people are forced to spend the harsh winter of artic Lappland together during World War 2 - two enemy soldiers, an injured Russian and a deserter Finn, and a nuetral Lapp woman. None of them speak the same language. The misunderstandings are painful, but their growing friendship and dependence on each other is powerful. This is one movie where turning off the subtitles makes you a participant.

[ Last edited by 1st_resp at 2007-6-24 06:53 AM ]
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-27 16:25:06 |Display all floors
I really appreciate the way you introduced to us. It reminds me of my English learning experience in university. During that time, we got a special film course in which we can watch an English film, then did some group work, like research, and prepared a presentation for the next class.

We all like  the course very much. Not only because we can enjoy many classic films, but also we can get access to traditional culture of english speaking countries. If we want to master a language, we should learn its grammars, but step further we should get familiar with its culture. And Movies can provide a good resource for us if we can not acquire go-abroad experience currently.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-5 14:35:26 |Display all floors
i always listen to the CRI on my way home,even though i think isn't effective,but my listening is improving.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-8 10:43:40 |Display all floors
that's reminds me of what one of my english teacher said before.he said if you want to improve your english ,try to think in english

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-9 14:57:53 |Display all floors
another way to help learn that was just launched on the China Daily Website is the audio news. You can access it either on the main homepage (www.chinadaily.com.cn) on the right side a little ways down the page. 3 new articles are uploaded everyday ! We'd love to have your feedback on them, too!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.