Author: zglobal

Should China Use a Failed Democratic Model? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-21 19:28:40 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 19:33:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 21-6-2007 11:28
My definition of support is basic health care that covers any illness at all. Not in a glamorous private hospital but all medical care.

Sounds like universal health care to me. Which is what you have in places like the Netherlands.

You talk about bare necessities, but is it a bare necessity to spend maybe £100,000 on an operation that could save someone's life?

Education at the highest level that is practical

What is the highest level you consider "practical"?

I don't agree with the kind of welfare that is dished out and often abused in the west.

Leaving aside the issue of social security, which is always hotly debated, how else is welfare "abused"?
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 19:44:54 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 19:52:06 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 21-6-2007 11:44
The highest level the country can afford and one that offers the same advantage to all citizens.

Uhuh, so what can China afford?

Personally, I feel that if China couldn't afford to give free education to everyone it would be better to pay for those least able to afford it. Maybe one could have a sliding-scale of fees.

Oh that's really clever mencus particularly as you are well aware that I was referring to social security as the main part of welfare.

Ok, but social security is not the only part of public spending. I think it would be wrong to stereotype all countries in Europe and North America having a problem with it - some do it better than others. There is room for change, but you have to be careful not to penalise those that can't help themselves easily.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 20:01:11 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 20:11:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 21-6-2007 12:01
It was reported on CNN but received very little other press or interest, even on this forum.

Actually I remember discussing it on more than one forum. I can't remember whether this was one of the places, but I thought it was raised.

Maybe more important that fees was criticism of the standard of education provided in the schools used by the poorest Chinese. So it isn't just about making education free, it's also ensuring it meets a good level.

I know for the agricultural tax, there wasn't a pledge to meet the shortfall in local income caused by its abolition - I can't remember if that's the same in regards to school fees in China, or not.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-21 21:58:33 |Display all floors
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.