Author: zglobal

Should China Use a Failed Democratic Model? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-3-18 13:13:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-3-18 09:30
I for one do not believe democracy as such is a "failure" in the world at large; it simply is not an export model to developing nations (latest example where it backfired: Kenya).  

I believe the point was that the model employed by the West is a failure and by failure he means a failure at being democratic. At least, that's how I read it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 19:38:00 |Display all floors
China will have to develop some sort of democracy sooner or later no matter what.

The various democratic systems employed in the west are far from perfect, but it's a bit harsh to declare them all complete failures. The title of this thread seems to assume that there is only ONE democratic system out there and that this system somehow has failed. However, it is important to remember that the DIFFERENT democratic systems used in the west are not all the same and they have very different rates of success at being democratic, being efficient, being transparent, etc. China currently has an opportunity to develop a system that will work reasonably ok (because that's all one can expect from ANY system) under the specific conditions of China, but it will be a democratic system and it will be based on "western democracy."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 19:46:11 |Display all floors
If China's current system is okay in improving people's daily lives, maintain modest growth etc etc.

Why should follow radical change proposed by the west?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 19:53:50 |Display all floors

Democracy is a failure!

Because it's not a democracy! > Non-democracy is a failure! > Democracy is a winner!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 21:01:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by northwest at 2008-3-18 19:46
If China's current system is okay in improving people's daily lives, maintain modest growth etc etc.

Why should follow radical change proposed by the west?

''Modest'' growth?   What happens when China takes the brakes off?  
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 21:18:31 |Display all floors

what will happen if China takes the brakes off?

workers work 24 hours a day,  building a 24-storey high-rise a week,  using up all metals and cement and wood and farmland in China a year,  and the result:  thousands of ferry ships in the oceans sending iron ore, oil, coal, wood, whatever to China's ports,  prices rising to sky-high...  another result:  China is all but a construction site, fresh air and clean water nowhere to find.

yeah, we got 50 percent yearly GDP growth, but inflation at 100 percent..........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-3-18 21:23:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinadaily at 2008-3-18 21:18
workers work 24 hours a day,  building a 24-storey high-rise a week,  using up all metals and cement and wood and farmland in China a year,  and the result:  thousands of ferry ships in the oceans  ...

I think they've already thought of that in Chengdu - building 24 hours a day. My wife recons it'll all be finished in 5 years and they'll have rehoused all of Chengdu. I think they're just going to go back to the beginning so that the economy doesn't falter.

Very impressive though despite of what I think of ingesting cement dust.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.