Author: middlekingdo

The Opium Wars [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-12 21:31:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tmphgt at 2007-5-12 19:49
I read your whole post ...

It contained the usual mix of your opinion and your thinly veiled dislike for the West.

You want me to waste time digesting all of your nonsense? No way ...

When ...

you cant seem to get through to them that in Britain we arent allowed to be proud of ourselves to suit foreigners, however we're still supposed to feel guilt?

if we're not allowed to be proper British anymore as it doesnt suit foreigners, why the hell should we apologize for anything Britain has done in the past?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 03:28:21 |Display all floors

White Wash Wizards.

Are you guys denying that the " Opium wars " in China ever occured ? That the British used the East India Company and the Royal Navy as a Hong ( business enterprise ) to deliver, forced and sold opium to the Chinese masses against the explicit objection of the Chinese government. The win-win deal was to make Chines drug addicts ( monopoly of forever customers ), free loot of Chinese silk , porcelain and tea, and eventually the signing of unequal treaties ceding HK and the New Territories.

It was among the most brilliant commercial entrepreneurial scheme of the millenium. Robert Clive and the Royal Navy : what a combo , what a team. No capital outlay, total and limitless free loot.

These are the inconvenient facts. You do not need links and cut-n-pastes for this. Now it is up to you beneficiaries of that loot to do something decent like acknowledging it, say sorry ( shock horror ) and atone for it in some fashion. The ball is in your court but somehow I expect nothing but the white wash brigade at work. Am I right . Cheers and cheerio.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:22:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 07:28 PM
Are you guys denying that the Opium wars in China ever occured ?

Stop guessing and stop pretending you cannot comprehend the posts in this thread. I note your typical reply where you attempt to mislead others by resorting to daft little suggestions - as I have shown in this specific quote from you. Nice try but your insinuation is wrong as my posts show.

If you are referring to me then:
- learn to read because I never said that
- use the quote button to provide supporting evidence for your claims

So far in this thread I have:
- given some links which explain the events leading up to the Opium Wars
- asked the thread-starter to back up his claim of “fact”
- pointed out that the demand for Opium was there long before the Opium Wars

Again the rest of your post is your opinion. I would like you to provide links that corroborate your claims about who was doing what leading up to the Opium Wars. So far you are unable to supply some background reading for those of us who are interested in history.

I have not denied or agreed with what you write so please don’t assume or claim otherwise. I know you never post links to back up your opinion so I am not expecting you to actually produce the goods here but I live in hope .... Again, I repeat, some of us are actually interested in reading historical stuff. Also, people can discuss history without resorting to the blame card ... ever tried it?

The fact I ask for elaboration on was why the wars started. There were specific events which the original posted omitted in his claims so I chose to go and look it up. The explanation I found was much better than the throw-away one-liner used to open this "debate".

No, the ball (as ever) is in your court. Provide links to support what you are talking about and try to post in an objective way. Perhaps you are unable to go back and see the anti-West rhetoric you perpetuate? Although I don’t think you are that ignorant ...

I know I am wasting my time and bandwidth with you but ... as I say, I live in hope ...

Now where are your requests for apologies from the Indonesians and those behind Morecombe Bay? Your silence on those issues is noted.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:23:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 12-5-2007 07:28 PM
Are you guys denying that the " Opium wars " in China ever occured ?

Stop guessing and stop pretending you cannot comprehend the posts in this thread. I note your typical reply where you attempt to mislead others by resorting to daft little suggestions - as I have shown in this specific quote from you. Nice try but your insinuation is wrong as my posts show.
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:24:25 |Display all floors
If you are referring to me then

So far in this thread I have
- given some links which explain the events leading up to the Opium Wars
- asked the thread-starter to back up his claim of “fact”

Again the rest of your post is your opinion. I would like you to provide links that corroborate your claims about who was doing what leading up to the Opium Wars. So far you are unable to supply some background reading for those of us who are interested in history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:25:04 |Display all floors
If you are referring to me then

So far in this thread I have
- given some links which explain the events
- asked the thread-starter to back up his claims

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-13 04:27:57 |Display all floors
I have not denied or agreed with what you write so please don’t assume or claim otherwise. I know you never post links to back up your opinion so I am not expecting you to actually produce the goods here but I live in hope.

The fact I ask for elaboration on was why the wars started. There were specific events which the original posted omitted in his claims so I chose to go and look it up.

No, the ball is in your court. Provide links to support what you are talking about and try to post in an objective way. Perhaps you are unable to go back and see the anti-West rhetoric you perpetuate? Although I don’t think you are that ignorant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.