Views: 79405|Replies: 404

The Opium Wars [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-11 12:10:06 |Display all floors
Everyone knows that the Opium Wars were immoral wars waged to get money by addicting people to drugs.  

That is not a Question.

it is a fact.

The Questions is... why has the United Kingdom still not apologized officially for this?  looking at it this way, it is easier to forgive the Japanese for what they did than it is the British.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-11 12:38:54 |Display all floors

Reply #1 middlekingdo's post

HATRED, and VENGEANCE

Vs

PRAGMATISM?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know!

But if the UK could do a PRUDENT APOLOGY, the better!
But as the UK is also a MAJOR WORLD POWER, it might be seen as kowtowing to another PEER....
Afterall, UK is not a JAPAN which is an occupied nation!

We can ask, but we need to be PRACTICAL!

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-11 12:43:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2007-5-11 12:38
HATRED, and VENGEANCE

Vs

PRAGMATISM?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know!

But if the UK could do a PRUDENT APOLOGY, the bet ...

Ah yes, the wise and Confucian-like responses of the greendragon.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 01:44:28 |Display all floors
C'mon, it happened over 100 years ago and nobody involved or even their children are alive today.

Let the past be and look to the future!

I

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 03:34:49 |Display all floors
we British should apologize

but only when the illegal chinese immigrants have left our shores and we stop selling all our industry to the commie chinese

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 03:58:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by middlekingdo at 11-5-2007 04:10 AM
Everyone knows that the Opium Wars were immoral wars waged to get money by addicting people to drugs.  

That is not a Question.

it is a fact.

According to Google sources the Opium Wars were waged when things turned nasty during the opium "trade". Trade being in quotes because it was deemed illegal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opium_Wars
http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/heroin/opiwar1.htm
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/history/A0836734.html
etc ...

So I would like to see references to back up your opinion, if it is supposedly fact.

Tell us more ...

Of course, there is another question ... Why did the Chinese want the opium (legally or illegally)? Did the British, French, Spanish force Chinese people to take opium or were they supplying a drug to meet demand?

Quote:
"The drug had long been used to stop diarrhoea, but in the seventeenth and eighteenth century people in all classes began to use it recreationally."
Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-12 04:18:03 |Display all floors
I disagree, i dont believ it is our place to appologise for things that occured so long ago.

If it was how far do you go ack because at point or another every country has invaded or wronged another nation.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.