Views: 8051|Replies: 12

3 Questions, thanks. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-7 19:32:50 |Display all floors
1、Henry must have stayed up last night, ____ he looks so tired and sleepy.
A. for  B. as  C. though  D. since
选什么?为什么?

2、You must always look carefully ______ you cross the road.
答案是before,我理解。可是不知道为什么觉得when也对。如何克服不去用when呢?

3、They were doing their homework when the telephone rang.
可以写成:They did their homework when the telephone was ringing. 吗?总是会弄不清楚到底是应该在从句还是主句里用过去进行时。

感谢你的详细解答!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-7 20:14:36 |Display all floors
1、A
i think some is from Henry's look to judge that Henry stayed up last night,,, so maight be "for".....i am not sure...
2、i think "when" is ok, but maybe "before"will more correct by the meaning
3、sure, two setences are right....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-7 23:13:28 |Display all floors
1. Yes, "for" is the correct answer. If you really need it, I could explain the differences between the various options  :)

2. Both options would give you sentences which are correct, but their meanings would be different.

But "while" would be better than "when" because crossing the road is a continuous process. We use "while" with continuous processes, and "when" where continuity is not implied or present.  

3. Yes, both sentences could be correct, with the meanings once again different. In the first case, The telephone rang suddenly as they sat doing their homework. In the second case, while the telephone was ringing, they just went on doing their homework.

Note again, in the second of the above two sentences, "while" would be better than "when", as we are talking about the continuous ringing of the phone.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-8 13:44:19 |Display all floors

Changcheng is quite correct, except...

In question 1, most Americans would use the answer D, since.  In this case, the idea is that "because he looked so tired and sleepy" is easily conveyed by the conjugation "since."  Most Brits say "because" in this instance.

I enjoyed the "continuous process" definition, which is succinct and pithy.  I may use it in the future.  Thanks!
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-8 17:57:03 |Display all floors
Thanks so much for ur answers, ur so kind~~ ^_^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-8 19:57:20 |Display all floors
In question 1, most Americans would use the answer D, since.  

Leungshuren, nothing the Americans do would surprise me

Seriously, the difficulty I have with using "since" in this sentence is that it would be associated with the effect (looking tired and sleepy) , not with the cause (staying up late). And I'd say "since" would make more sense when associated with the cause. Looking at that sentence with "since" in it, I am left wondering what caused what.

It would be like saying, "He went to sleep late for the reason that he looked tired and sleepy".

I can imagine Henry looking into a mirror and exclaiming, "Oh my God, I look so tired and sleepy, so I'm going to stay up late tonight!".

However, if you had the same sentence with the order of emphasis reversed, you could say, "Henry looks tired and sleepy since he stayed up last night". Here, "since" does get associated with the cause, and therefore gives the right sense of "because".

"This effect happened" since/because "this cause happened".

Not, "This cause happened" since/because "this effect happened".

Savvy? What do you say?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-9 12:25:35 |Display all floors

The sentence says that

Henry must have stayed up last night..  The second part of the sentence is the evidence the narrator supplies for why Henry must have done that.  Cause precedes effect in normal English.

Therefore, the fact that Henry looks tired and sleepy implies that he stayed up last night.  (That is the meaning of this sentence).  "Since" means "because," and it also means "for the reason that."

Also, in English, this sentence says that staying up late makes you look tired and sleepy.  Makes sense.  Cause first, effect second.  Also, since in this instance is standard usage.

Well, that's my 2 cents.  Have a good day, CC.
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.