Author: socrateets

chinese metaphors [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-13 03:19:10 |Display all floors

Mei Men! (No Door!) " No way"

Here's my latest contribution, courtesy of Mrs. Rong.

I have to admit I have an easier time picking out similes which are a type of metaphor, but always start with "like"   -  as in "like a rolling stone".

But as the subject line says:   "Mei Men" , literally "no door",  but really is a rather rude way of saying no to a request.  Sort of like "No way!

When I think about it, I'm now doubtful the expression is a metaphor, but I offer it up, just to try and keep this thread going.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 20:25:58 |Display all floors

BRAINSTORM

Rong, you are not alone here,

Here goes my doubleful metaphorical expressions. Call me bad student or any kind, I just donnot want sit with my two hands being tied!

竹篮打水一场空(zhu lan da shui yi chang kong): literally it means you cannnot fill your basket with water. Metaphorically ,if I am allowed to use this term, it means that you may still get nowhere despite of your intention and effort. I think it is used more when no one is supposed to know the intention.

Another one is shou zhu dai tu(守株待兔)meaning waiting for dead rabbits beside a tree, or waiting for meatpies falling from the heaven?? No need further explain, I guess.

a funny one here, rou bao zi da gun, yi qu bu hui(肉包子打狗一去不回).literally, it means
if you strike a dog with a meat bun, you will never get the bun back. This is a way to laught at those whose investment has yielded no tangible return to him.

Here is just a few of the myriad of doubtful chinese metaphorical expressions. If you think of more or like one of them,pls let me know.

Thank you in advance

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 20:26:27 |Display all floors

BRAINSTORM

Here goes my doubleful metaphorical expressions. Call me bad student or any kind, I just donnot want sit with my two hands being tied!

竹篮打水一场空(zhu lan da shui yi chang kong): literally it means you cannnot fill your basket with water. Metaphorically ,if I am allowed to use this term, it means that you may still get nowhere despite of your intention and effort. I think it is used more when no one is supposed to know the intention.

Another one is shou zhu dai tu(守株待兔)meaning waiting for dead rabbits beside a tree, or waiting for meatpies falling from the heaven?? No need further explain, I guess.

a funny one here, rou bao zi da gun, yi qu bu hui(肉包子打狗一去不回).literally, it means
if you strike a dog with a meat bun, you will never get the bun back. This is a way to laught at those whose investment has yielded no tangible return to him.

Here is just a few of the myriad of doubtful chinese metaphorical expressions. If you think of more or like one of them,pls let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Lovable

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 20:28:36 |Display all floors

Thank you in advance

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 06:04:54 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 16:35:10 |Display all floors

Here goes my doubleful metaphorical expressions. Call me slow student or any kind, I just donnot want sit with my two hands being tied!

Thank you in advance

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-16 00:35:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by lovable at 2007-4-14 16:35

If you think of more or like one of them,pls let me know..

Yes, please. Add some more!

Whether they are metaphors or not, they are definitely "sayings" or adages. They are quite interesting and easily understandable and translatable. I hope to use them in conversation.

Mrs. Rong always accuses me of looking for " a bone in a egg" - sorry I don't know the pinying for that one.

Some expressions we use in English that are apparently derived from Chinese are :

"A picture is worth a thousand words"
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step".

These are so ingrained in English, many people may be surprised they are Chinese orgin.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.