Views: 12809|Replies: 13

chinese metaphors [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-24 15:55:51 |Display all floors
are metaphors common in Chinese? anybody have some interesting maybe funny examples?

[ Last edited by socrateets at 2007-3-24 04:00 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 21:00:35 |Display all floors

Interesting Question socrateets!

This is an interesting question socrateets; I'm surprised there have been no responses so far.

Maybe I can get the ball rolling...

When Mrs. Rong wakes up after a nap she says she was 'gone to Suzhou' so I guess if you are asleep you are in Suzhou.

Personally I don't understand that one -we went to Suzhou in 2004. I thought it was a busy place with not much sleeping going on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 21:40:37 |Display all floors
Dear Ronglimeng,
what you said is not in strict sense a metaphor. To tell a metaphor is to speak about one thing through the imagery of another, seemingly unrelated thing.

In your example, "Suzhou" is only used as a surrogate for "Dreamland", but not as an image of it, which means it does not describe it graphically.

One example of a good Chinese metaphor that came to mind is the signature of the forumite Mencius : "the water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it". (水能载舟,亦能覆舟)Water here is compared to the people of a certain country, boat to the ruler. And the meaning is quite evident: the people can support the ruler, but they can also overthrow him (if he becomes tyrannical, etc)
Der Mensch ist das Loch im Sein - Hegel

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 21:41:23 |Display all floors
Dear Ronglimeng,
what you said is not in strict sense a metaphor. To tell a metaphor is to speak about one thing through the imagery of another, seemingly unrelated thing.

In your example, "Suzhou" is only used as a surrogate for "Dreamland", but not as an image of it, which means it does not describe it graphically.

One example of a good Chinese metaphor that came to mind is the signature of the forumite Mencius : "the water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it". Water here is compared to the people of a certain country, boat to the ruler. And the meaning is quite evident: the people can support the ruler, but they can also overthrow him (if he becomes tyrannical, etc)
Der Mensch ist das Loch im Sein - Hegel

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 21:56:32 |Display all floors

Thanks xieyang

I stand corrected.

Your explanation is quite clear and the example you give is excellent.

I'll try to redeem myself by coming up with a better example.

I hope there are more contributions to this thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 09:35:01 |Display all floors

Xia Zhi Dian Deng - Zhao Bu Jian!

Here's my second attempt, thanks to Mrs. Rong....

Xia Zhi Dian Deng - Zhao Bu Jian!

which means "Turn on a light for a blind person" .  The meaning is that you do work than is not useful or helpful?

How's that one, xieyang?

Lets have some more!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 12:46:08 |Display all floors
metaphor is a kind of  art of language both in chinese and in the foreign language.
it can describe the staff more vivider,and interesting.
also , and it can make the virtual material .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.