Author: rainbow

专访重庆“史上最牛钉子户”:我不是刁民(C-E) [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-3-26 21:03:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-3-26 03:38 AM

So Jeff  you are from???:)

jeff_in_sf  --  What more clue do you need?  SF, you know?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-3-26 21:08:41 |Display all floors

Re: #49

Sister A Qing (NOT Ah Q ) was the official translation back then, I believe.

There's no way a simple translation without some accompanying explanation could be understood by English readers.  In fact, I suspect that many Chinese readers don't know who A Qing Sao was either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-27 02:08:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rainbow at 2007-3-26 12:34 AM
Jeff would like our posts in English if possible because he and others aren't able to read Chinese as his signature shows below.
Well, just this quote, really:
Originally posted by laoxianggg at 2007-3-25 11:26 PM
Here is another quote:
主持人:什么生意?

吴蘋:开酒楼、饭店。因为我们那条街是酒楼一条街,我很会处事,人很好,人家叫我阿庆嫂。我对人很和气,我知道和气生财这个道理,这个没有错吧。
I can get some of the meaning from machine translation but I don't think I'm getting the full meaning. (I'm not expecting the board to translate everything to accommodate me. )
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-27 08:49:56 |Display all floors
SF=San Fransisco? Jeff you are a native or ABC there:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-27 10:03:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by workout at 2007-3-26 04:49 PM
SF=San Fransisco? Jeff you are a native or ABC there:)
San Francisco, well, actually, I live in South San Francisco. I'm non-Chinese, born and raised in the US, but almost all my friends are ABC or Chinese-born (not planned—it just happened), so I'm Chinese "at heart," I guess. :)

Ha, ha, workout, what did you think my signature line meant?

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread—laoxianggg was posting interesting quotes and I wanted to make sure I got the full meaning.
Originally posted by natureforest at 2007-3-26 02:35 AM
An English simile goes "as tough as nails". So can I just translate it as "nails-tough"house-owner?
And that's a good try :) but no, that would be puzzling to a native listener.

There's no exact equivalent of the term dīngzi hù in English. jl2315 might be right—just saying "nail house" with an explanation might lead to its adoption as a term with the meaning of dīngzi hù in English. Or even dīngzi hù itself might be incorporated into English as other Chinese words have.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-27 10:50:01 |Display all floors
Sorry, Jeff. Let me explain the meaning of 阿庆嫂 and see if you can suggest a term that can be understood by native English speakers.

阿庆嫂 is the heroine in the revoluntioanry play Sha Jia Bang (a place name in eastern China, a communist base in the 40's). She run a small teahouse that served as a conduit for the communist and fought the enemy with her quick wit and sharp tongue. Our heroine today, the female owner of the "nail house", runs a small restaurant on the premise and is fighting the developer in the same manner that made 阿庆嫂 famous and well liked.

阿庆嫂 literally means "Ah Qing's wife, my sister-in-law". Ah Qing is a guy who never appeared in the play. The sister-in-law part should not be taken literally. The person who is addressing her like that is just treating her with the respect befitting of a sister-in-law. This is a very common way of addressing a lady who is a bit older than oneself.

So, any idea what the English equivalent might be? Ah Qing's lady? Ah Qing's wife?

I used Ah instead of A to avoid confusion.

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-3-27 10:54:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.