Author: rainbow

专访重庆“史上最牛钉子户”:我不是刁民(C-E) [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-3-27 23:43:03 |Display all floors
Both "dingzihu" and "nail house" are used in an article in the New York Times today:

Chinese news reports and online commentators refer to the home as a ''dingzihu'' or ''nail house,'' playing on a phrase for troublemakers who stick up like nails and refuse to go along with government policies.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 00:32:48 |Display all floors
Really, I am interested to read the report in New York Times. Would you please offer the link?  Thanks in advance.

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor

Post time 2007-3-28 01:26:07 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 01:32:46 |Display all floors
JL, thank you. I'll read at least two of them before sleeping.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 01:37:07 |Display all floors
Here's the link, rainbow. The article has a nice aerial view of the site and a small picture of the stylish Mrs. Wu. The Times writer comments:
How did this owner, a woman no less, manage [to hold off demolition]? Millions wondered.

Part of the answer, which on meeting her takes only a moment to discover, is that Wu Ping is anything but an ordinary woman. With her dramatic lock of hair precisely combed and pinned in the back, a form-flattering bright red coat, high cheekbones and wide, excited eyes, the tall, 49-year-old restaurant entrepreneur knows how to attract attention — a potent weapon in China’s new media age, in which people try to use public opinion and appeals to the national image to influence the authorities.

One local college student is quoted:
“This is a peculiar situation,” he said, with a bit of understatement. “I admire the owner for being so persistent in her principles. In China such things shock the common mind.”
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 03:03:19 |Display all floors

Chinese Headline vs English One

I think the Chinese Headline of this story is more eyeball-catching than the English one from New York Times., though the English version is no bad.
:)

Homeowner Stares Down Wreckers, at Least for a While

[ Last edited by rainbow at 2007-3-28 03:05 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-3-28 08:26:26 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.