Views: 16989|Replies: 23

should we stick to our own chinese name , not common english name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-16 12:36:18 |Display all floors
It seems most of us have an english , which is very often seen in books.

When I contacted with one of my customers, he asked,"which sabby, I know four sabbys." That is a bit sad. Why shouldnt we use our speacial chinese name ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 22:25:03 |Display all floors
That's weird, I've never heard Sabby. There are a lot of name threads going on lately, including mine, choosing a chinese name for myself.
I told my view in another thread, but as a foreigner learning chinese, I have no problem trying to learn chinese names and remember them. I want to. If you don't want an english name, just use your chinese one. If you tell it to strangers who have no clue how to pronounce chinese, they will probably say it wrong if it's not really easy. So it also has to do with your particular name, and if they will end up saying it good enough or if you think whenever someone tries to say it, it ends up sounding like some other word anyway. Also realize they won't say the tone right if they don't know chinese. Most people don't know the tones matter. So you have to tell them or accept random tones.

For EXAMPLE:
If part of your name is Li, that's easy for anyone to say. Just say Li. Any english speaking person who doesn't even know chinese will pronounce that correctly even based on that spelling.
Some other easy ones:
Wang
An
Ding
Chen
Yang
Hu

If your name has a sound we don't normally make in english then you have to accept it won't be said well if the person is not studying chinese. If that's ok with you, then that's all that really matters.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 22:29:52 |Display all floors
PS - at my college in the US, the 3 chinese professors I knew there all used their chinese names. Hu was easy, Xu had to not be offended at everyone saying "shoe", which she wasn't, and Tung (Dong) had to be ok with people sometimes saying "tongue".

In the US most chinese people I knew who weren't born there used their chinese surnames with either an english first name or their chinese one if it was easy.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 13:59:26 |Display all floors
Originally posted by freakyqi at 2007-3-16 22:29
PS - at my college in the US, the 3 chinese professors I knew there all used their chinese names. Hu was easy, Xu had to not be offended at everyone saying "shoe", which she wasn't, and T ...

I agree. Chinese people can use their surnames.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 14:32:31 |Display all floors
I feel better when they call me by my chinese names....sounds nice...if I choose a random enlish name...anna...jenny...lily whatever I feel it's so boring and doesn't make sense...a random jane doe that's not me...I won't accept this "me"...it's not real...whatever they call....but some people wouldn't bother to remeber or pronounce your chinese name even when it's just a pinyin....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 15:28:37 |Display all floors
It depends on what fields you are in. If your job requires a lot of communication with oveseas, it's advisable to have an english name to ease the pronounciation hardship. also if you are working in a wholly owned subsidiary,or a joint venture, you are required to have one, which is part of the culture... and it has to do with globalisation. my work is to make direct  contacts with oveases, and usually it was a real pain in the ass when i tried so hard to pronouce a name from india, arabic countries and turkey  on the phone. so having  your own english name really falls into what nature of the jobs..if it causes problems because of two many sabbys in a company, try to ask for a full name on that to avoid misunderstanding...

anyway,my oversea friends would like to call me by my chinese name since it's not too complicated.

best reagrds,

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-20 19:53:00 |Display all floors
Funny as I found really that even some nonchinese people like calling their chinese friends by their chinese names. It looks like a lot easier for them to be with a real Chinese:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.