Author: northkin

Strangest 'English' name of a Chinese person [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-20 01:50:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by yibaikuai at 2007-3-15 13:31
Fantasia... is one I have heard... valid name I guess, but the only time have heard it in the past it was associated with strippers.

One girl saw the names April, May and June and assumed that a ...

your name is coolest!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 01:43:02 |Display all floors
In my secondary school, we had a "Dick" and a "Willy".

Other names include "Mary", "Walt", "George", etc, all so old-fashioned. They were given to us by our English teachers during our first English lesson and accompanied us for SIX years.

Why can't they address us by our Chinese names, it's just so stupid.
Der Mensch ist das Loch im Sein - Hegel

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 10:22:18 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xieyang at 2007-4-5 01:43

Why can't they address us by our Chinese names, it's just so stupid.

Yeah, there's a whole thread about that too. But take heart, it happens to other people too in the rest of the world, with other languages. When I was in school in the US, our spanish teacher gave us all spanish names. I hated mine! But what I realize now is, it's not a very serious thing, and I could've changed it if I wanted to. I could have said to her, "I don't like Pilar, can I be Maria?" or something, and she probably wouldn't have cared one bit.
I think the reason for choosing a foreign name in the case of school is to keep the flavor of the class, especially when you're all supposed to be speaking that language. A name in your new language has the same sounds as the rest of the language, and could help make it more fun.

HOWEVER, I think it's only fun if you like the new name and you're a kid. I teach adults now and I don't suggest they have an english name, I try to call them whatever they tell me to call them. WHen they register at our school, they are supposed to write an english name "so it's easier for the foreign teachers to remember it".... maybe some foreign teachers find it easier, but that makes me feel stupid.

(hey we both ended our posts with the word 'stupid')
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 21:57:09 |Display all floors
Here's a good link to sexy bejing... a show about chinese with english names... I like Samanfar... cool name and a cute girl...

http://www.danwei.tv/clips/sexy_beijing_lost_in_translati.php

BTW most folks from the USA were given new names when they arrived... my family name is Lucas... it used to be different...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 22:03:36 |Display all floors
mira isn't that odd, is it?

Mira is a very nice name..... These are some of my favorite girl names... Desiree' (pronounced dezeray) Denise, Tina, Kelly, Lauren (my daughters name) Jenny...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 22:28:08 |Display all floors
just a name to call ur friend, why do you so care of such minor a thing? stupid

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 15:06:54 |Display all floors
It's not her name thats strange, but this girl who calls herself Sophy had me in stitches when she told me her E-mail address is iamsxxxx@...
Dream on!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.