Author: herifle

what's the image of china in the foreigners' eyes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-7 09:53:01 |Display all floors

my opinion

I think every country has civilization and cluture itself, It 's impossible  all the country are the same,if you have bad image to China,maybe you don't understand the Chinese,beacuse Chinese have 5 thousand years of  history,there are many civilizations of Chinese,what;s your opinion?
my  msn:hkyuming4722@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-7 12:48:05 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-7 23:18:33 |Display all floors
All countries have good and bad things.
I have so many good things to say about china, I just love to live here and I will stay.
The bad things. No freedom of speech, censorship on the internet. Children still learn in school, how great Mao was for China. As a foreigner you get tired of the complete unfair price you have to pay, just because you are white. Hygiene, I hope soap and hot water will have a revival. A Chinese friend of mine just got his drivers license. It was hard and he had to pass many tests. He had a total of 2 (TWO) lessons in a car and is totally incapable of driving a car, but he got the license. There are 25 millions of them now and traffic, well. The government do little, if nothing, to help the poor. The gap between rich and poor in China is so huge.
But I wouldn’t trade it for any other place, and I’ve been around. People are nice to me and I’m so lucky to live in one of the most beautiful cities in China. Architecture is amazing and the weather is perfect.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-10 20:34:13 |Display all floors

What's wrong with China

I am a British National and a Hong Kong National living in Shanghai, China. I am Eurasian. Half Chinese and half English. I have lived in China for nearly four years. Although I have a foreign face and most Chinese think so, I view myself as an observer. Perhaps I don't have any right to say what I'm about to say, because I grew up in England and had a classical education. My school was alot like "Harry Potter", except it wasn't magic. Actually it was like living in the 17th century. I was born in Hong Kong and left with my mother in 1968, when I was five. At that time I could speak: Shanghainese, Cantonese and English fluently; I could even write in complex Chinese. Unfortunately, I have lost most of my Chinese language. So I write this mostly, from a foreign perspective and from a person who grew up until five years old in Hong Kong.
In my view the things that are wrong about China now, are small things, however, if you have ever experienced a wooden splinter in your hand or under your nails, you will know what I'm talking about.
China is a country with many levels of people. It's vast and has different levels of educated people. The problems caused by this differentiation are that some people simply do not understand how to behave, causing others to feel pain, anxiety and discomfort.
e.g. People in China often ride their bicycles on the path; mopeds too when you are walking towards them. They park their bicycles in doorways, where everyone has to enter and exit.
People in China often walk directly into you when you are walking on the path and turn sideways to avoid you at the last moment, even though there is plenty of space on the path.
People in China often disregard traffic rules e.g. red lights.
People in China often try to push their way into an elevator, just as you are trying to get out.
People in China often rush into a Metro train and push everyone aside, just to get a seat.
The government in China has allowed People in China, driving a car, to go through a red light when turning right at the same time as people are allowed to walk across the road.
The government in China has allowed People in China to go through a red light when they are riding a bicycle or moped making it difficult for pedestrians to cross the road, completely.
Taxi drivers often cut in to traffic queues at the junction of traffic lights. This would be considered cheating in most countries. The response in England would be violent.
The general point is that most people in China do not know how to behave or have never been taught road usage.
I agree these are small things but there are many more examples which give a bad example to foreign eyes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 00:43:51 |Display all floors

LET THE WORLD LEARN FROM CHINA

I CAME FROM IRELAND TO AMERICA 15 YEARS AGO 4 YEARS AGO I MET A GIRL FROM CHINA AND SOON GOT MARRIED I HAVE BEEN TO CHINA MANY TIMES FOR EXTENDED VACATIONS,IN MY OPINION CHINA CAN LEAD THE WORLD ANYDAY AND THE GOVERMENT IS TO BE COMPLIMANTED FOR ITS GREAT LEADERSHIP SKILLS.I THINK CHINA SHOULD DO WHATS GOOD FOR CHINA AND NEVER BE ADVISED BY OTHER COUNTRIES.I SAW IRELAND EMBRACE AMERICAN LIFESTYLE AND IT HAD A VERY BAD EFFECT ON THE ECONOMY AND PEPOLES LIVES.I THINK THE GOVERMENT OF CHINA SHOULD BE STRONGER THAN IT IS AND NOT OPEN UP TO THE U.S.A. OR THE WEST THE WEST IS A HUGE MESS AND IS GOING INTO THE TRASH CAN QUICKLY PLEASE DO NOT FOLLOW IT.MOST OF THE WESTS PEOPLE ONLY BELIEVE WHAT THIER GOVERMENTS TELL THEM ABOUT CHINA THERE IS NO PRESS FREEDOM IN THE WEST.WHAT THE WEST CAN NOT TAKE BY FORCE IT WILL STEAL OTHERWAYS.I THINK WE SHOULD LET CHINA SHOW US HOW WE CAN MAKE THIS A BETTER WORLD TO LIVE IN,I HOPE MORE PEOPLE WILL SEE THIS AND COME TO ACCEPT IT.IRELAND FOLLOWED AMERICAN EXAMPLE AND NOW IS IN BIG FINANCIL TROUBLE AGAIN BUISNESS IS LEAVING FOR EAST EUROPE WHERE LABOUR IS CHEAPER AND BANKS ARE PULLING IN LOANS PEOPLE CAN NOT REPAY.AMERICA WHERE I LIVE IS ALSO IN A RECESSION.THE U.S. PROGECTS THIS HUGE WAR MACHINE TO THE WORLD YET THE COUNTRY IS LOOKING LIKE A POOR AFRICA AND CRIME IS OUT OF CONTROLL.CHINA DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO BUT BE CAREFULL OF THE WESTS MISTAKES LET CHINA DO WHATS BEST FOR CHINA..O, AND BY THE WAY I BELIEVE THERE IS MORE RELIGIOUS FREEDOM IN CHINA THAN IN ANY WESTERN COUNTRY.AND I HAVE TRAVELED A GREAT DEAL .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 11:49:14 |Display all floors
I agree with marcc22.  it's sometimes the little things that niggle.  I am a foreigner who has been in China almost two years.  I have experienced culture shock on several levels and I still love China.  Chinese that go to live for a while in another country, especially a western country, will experience culture shock too.  Culture shock is the discomfort someone feels when living in a different culture.
Here are some of symptoms of culture shock taken from
http://edweb.sdsu.edu/people/CGuanipa/cultshok.htm.

* Sadness, loneliness, melancholy
    * Preoccupation with health
    * Aches, pains, and allergies
    * Insomnia, desire to sleep too much or too little
    * Changes in temperament, depression, feeling vulnerable, feeling powerless
    * Anger, irritability, resentment, unwillingness to interact with others
    * Identifying with the old culture or idealizing the old country
    * Loss of identity
    * Trying too hard to absorb everything in the new culture or country
    * Unable to solve simple problems
    * Lack of confidence
    * Feelings of inadequacy or insecurity
    * Developing stereotypes about the new culture
    * Developing obsessions such as over-cleanliness
    * Longing for family
    * Feelings of being lost, overlooked, exploited or abused

Some foreigners get stuck in culture shock and go home; others grow to love the culture and overlook it's differences from their home culture.  I still don't like the spitting; I don't like the shoving and I don't like the feeling I'm being looked at all the time.  I don't like the traffic rules or lack there of  and I don't like horn honking ( especially those big buses).  I think some things in China will have to change, especially in regards to the spitting, horn honking and lack of regard (or room) for pedestrians.  I heard that over a 100 are killed a day in China.  Those that own cars are becoming much more aggressive and dangerous to those of us who do not own vehicles.

That being said,  I love China and the people (perhaps not the drivers so much ha).  And don't become too westernized too fast, as was warned above.  But do expect more freedom from your press and from TV.  Often I feel that the press is too one sided and only points to what the government is doing right and not what mistakes it has made.

[ Last edited by justliving at 2007-4-11 11:51 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-12 00:05:22 |Display all floors
marty, r u sure ur american or irish?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.