Views: 18017|Replies: 49

Human Trafficking -- What Can We Do About It? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-11 20:15:45 |Display all floors
Human trafficking and modern day slavery seems to be getting worse in our times!

Some call it evil!

What do you think about it?

What can each and everyone of us do about it?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 20:28:43 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 00:44:12 |Display all floors
No vicious attack that I can see.

There's no vicious attack in the thread.  Just an exclamation about human trafficking and a question about what can be done, no allegation of who is responsible.

The surest solution for human trafficking is increased international trade.  The more that China exports, the more dollars will flow to workers in their home countries.  If Chinese can succeed in their home towns, then why would they ever want to leave, except on vacation?

It is as true for Chinese immigrants as it is for Hispanic immigrants to the USA.  It is only the lack of opportunity at home that pushes them ever northward.  Incidentially, the push northward began long ago.  Mexico once owned all of California and the Jesuit Missionaries before Mexican rule explored the western coast and established missions with names like San Diego, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, San Clemente, San Jose, and San Francisco.  On the east coast, Conquistadors are known to have settled as far northward as North Carolina, and they recently found a Conquistador's sword in the ruins of a southern Maryland tobacco plantation.  In the film, Dances With Wolves (1990), the midwest prarie Indians even had a helmet of Conquistador.  People have been coming northward from the south for centuries, and the brief interlude from the 1830s to the present is not the full history of America.

Before the Mexican-American War in the 1830s, California was governed by a democratically elected official.  Americans don't remember that Mexico ruled California in accord with all the democratic principles we that we claim to hold so dear.  They just remember the Alamo.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 00:51:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 03:22:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-3-11 23:19
what is needed is a crystal-clear definition of "human trafficking"

seneca:

OK. Here is your definition:

Trafficking is a term to define the recruiting, harboring, obtaining, transportation of a person by use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjecting them to involuntary acts, such as acts related to commercial sexual exploitation (including prostitution) or involuntary labor. ...

My intention was for people to have a say before I put some experiences of those who have been trafficked.

Human trafficking awareness poster from the Canadian Department of Justice:

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-3-12 03:24 AM ]
canada.JPG
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 05:51:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 2007-3-12 02:44
No vicious attack that I can see.

There's no vicious attack in the thread.  Just an exclamation about human trafficking and a question about what can be done, ...

Unfortunately Seneca's reaction is perfectly understandable considering Changabula's record in racist, westerbaiting* postings.

If Changabula is changing his tune, and creating a thread for a full and free discussion, then I am sure we'll all be very happy.

(* Westerbaiting, a self gratifying act of hurling abuse at people with "Western" values)

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-3-12 08:09 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 06:05:11 |Display all floors

that's just the way it is...

we all have our dues in life to pay, and we just got to lose in order to win!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.