Author: zglobal

"Imaginary" Democracy Beware [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-12 11:18:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 12:41:48 |Display all floors
The truth is that governments don't want the people to have real democracy.
They think you and I are too stupid to be trusted with it.

I think that's a very succint summary of how "governments" in the world think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 12:47:36 |Display all floors

Reply #22 irishinuk's post

That's because Irish people in the United States are helping you guys out in Ireland!

Massachusettes, San Francisco...ie. silicone valley are mainly Catholic country....

Hmmmm....new conspiracy theory by me!

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 16:48:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 19:47:51 |Display all floors
Even if you want to argue that a republican system of government involving universal suffrage is not always successful (and I agree that this is true; many, many Third World nations, including South Africa, provide evidence that corrupt, incompetent and selfish governments can be completely representative and also completely useless), I still think that freedom (including the freedom to criticise one's own government) is a worthwhile value, and one which mainland China still lacks more than almost any nation on earth.

Even during the darkest periods of  recent Western history, basic freedoms of expression have been largely upheld. During the Troubles in Northern Ireland in the 1960's, criticism of the UK government was not forbidden by Westminster. Publishing politically incorrect books, making critical public statements was not in itself grounds for arrest or censorship. Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams published a number of  anti-Crown republican screeds over the decades, thousands of copies of which were printed by London publishing houses.

Whereas in mainland China today, non-violent critics of the Party are routinely placed under house arrest or imprisoned, despite the fact that China faces no organised political uprising.

"Get real, western freedom, what a joke."

At least in the West, we have the freedom to publicly denounce our government, something which is impossible in China. You can criticise corruption, yes, corrupt officials, yes, but if you go out into the town square with a banner declaring "打倒共匪" you will be bundled away in 公安 van very, very quickly.

If a country fails the town square test, it isn't really free.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 21:12:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-12 19:47
At least in the West, we have the freedom to publicly denounce our government, something which is impossible in China

People keep on saying that! If you believe that then you are being misled by your government.

Come on be real. Lets take the UK as an example. If you were to try to state your views, this is what will happen:

(1) The police will immediately start recording everyone who is with you and what you say (and don't say this doesn't happen, you see them on the news reports doing this)!

(2) Your Internet activities are monitored and your emails are checked! Look this up if you don't believe me.

(3) It can get more sinister if they think that you are a nuisance. The secret services (MI5, Scotland Yard, ...)will bug your conversations and will trace your activities.

(4) It can get worse.

All of this will be justified with the anti-terrorism and hate laws.

If you can't find the information yourself, I would be glad to help.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 22:09:12 |Display all floors
You are living in cloudcuckoo land if you think criticism of the UK government will land you in the same sort of trouble as criticism of the chinese government.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.