Author: zglobal

"Imaginary" Democracy Beware [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-10 21:03:08 |Display all floors
As I keep telling you, it's not a choice of two. People can (and do) vote for the other parties (and actually, the combined share of votes the Big Three recieve actually *FALLS* every decade, meaning that the influence of the other parties is growing! Northern Ireland has just had its' own Assembly elections and will posess a high level of autonomy and power-sharing between the DUP and Sinn Fein (provided the paramilitaries don't start the Troubles again!), so does Wales, and Scotland may well choose independence this very year, thanks to the efforts of the SNP, which is predicted by some to make a final breakthrough this year, most Scots and perhaps more suprisingly, an even larger majority of English favouring independence for Scotland!

"That means the people have been pretty lazy for the past century in the U.K, Australia and the U.S"

Not necessarily. It means that they have chosen to vote the two main parties for Parliament the last century. Not lazy, just their choice. And as I have pointed out, they are making choices for themselves - no, there are not referendums every week, but any part of the UK that wishes to split off is free to do so. So any part of the UK which is unhappy with the voting choices made by the majority is free to go it alone and become independent.

I agree with you that it is not a democracy by the original Athenian definition, which involves direct participation by citizens in the working of their government, but rather a republic, in which we make a decision to put our trust in a government to make decisions which we believe reflect our interests. You may well have a point, maybe it would be preferable if more frequent referenda were held. :) Still, our system of government is among the most representative that exist in the world today, blemishes and all.

Once again:

Can you suggest any reasons to justify why you consider multi party republics to be worse than authotarian governments? For example, can you suggest any good reasons why the China Democracy Party (supressed on the mainland since 1997) should not be permitted to challenge the CCP for the leadership of the Chinese government?

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-3-10 09:10 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 11:45:02 |Display all floors

Democracy without Democracy

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 13:28:55 |Display all floors
irishinuk wrote:

''Can you suggest any reasons to justify why you consider multi party republics to be worse than authotarian governments?''

The politicians in the UK appear to devote huge resources into bickering, lying to the voters and posing for the camera. Somehow they manage to produce excessive numbers of laws that are largely unnecessary and frequently don't work. I don't get the impression that they are anything other than a self serving group of people who have no respect for the people that elected them.

Give me China anyday. If I were Chinese, I could join the communist Party, have my say, get elected, make a contribution towards society and work for the good of the country, not for the good of the party.

Two countries decided that they needed to make a statement. One country built some substantial and attractive buildings in landscaped grounds to preserve part of their national heritage. The other country decided to make an international statement about their country. They squabbled over finances, squabbled about the objective of their building, squabbled about everything publically and privately and finally put the building on the market to be sold at a loss because it wasn't wanted in the first place. They built a tent. Guess which country built what.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 16:09:52 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 17:54:11 |Display all floors
I think the nature of the democracy in the west is about more than just the voting system.  It's about accountability of the legal system.  In China it's all corrupt.  If you have the guanxi you can get somewhere, if you don't, you can't.  If the police don't like you they can turn up and confiscate your house and all your possessions at the drop of a hat.  Perhaps in five years the governnment might decide it doesn't like all these fancy new housing developments, and just knock them down without recompensing the owners.  Everything in china feels very arbitrary, with very little real protection of the law for the common man.  That is what democracy is really about, rather than just the voting, to my mind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 18:45:24 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-12 09:42:32 |Display all floors
is there really true difference in the two parties in the usa.?
i have the feeling they are both the same.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.