Views: 6182|Replies: 12

Diary shows Hirohito didn't want war in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-10 11:16:05 |Display all floors
Diary shows Hirohito didn't want war in China

(AP)

Emperor Hirohito, in whose name Japanese soldiers fought in World War Two, was reluctant to start a war with China in 1937 and had believed in stopping it earlier, media reported on Friday, citing a diary by his former chamberlain.

The revelation comes after Prime Minister Shinzo Abe angered Asian neighbors with controversial remarks about Japan's wartime actions, and as Tokyo and Beijing prepare for an expected April visit to Japan by Chinese Premier 888.

According to the diary by Kuraji Ogura, the late Hirohito also said Japan had underestimated China's military strength, adding that experts in the Imperial Army had failed to correctly forecast the war in China.

"Japan underestimated China. It is most wise to end the war quickly and seek to build up our national strength for the next ten years," the diary quotes Hirohito as saying in January 1941, according to the Asahi Shimbun newspaper.

Japan and China entered full-scale war following the Marco Polo Bridge incident in 1937.

In December 1942, a year after Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor, Hirohito is quoted as saying that the timing for ending a war is important and that war should be fought to the best of one's ability.

"One you start (a war), it cannot easily be stopped in the middle ... What's important is when to end the war," the diary quotes him as saying.

"One should be cautious in starting a war, but once begun, it should be carried out thoroughly."

Hirohito's remarks may provide insight into the monarch's war responsibility, which academics say has never been fully pursued in Japan largely due to a decision by U.S. Occupation authorities to keep him on the throne and turn the emperor into a symbol of a newly democratic Japan.

Last July, a memo by another courtier said that Hirohito had stopped visiting a Tokyo shrine for Japan's war dead because he was displeased by the shrine's decision to honor wartime leaders convicted as war criminals.

Wartime prime minister Hideki Tojo and 13 other leaders convicted as "Class A" war criminals by an Allied tribunal in 1948 were elevated to the status of gods in 1978 by the Yasukuni Shrine, which is why Beijing and Seoul consider the shrine a symbol of Japan's past militarism.

Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi made annual visits to Yasukuni, turning Tokyo's ties with the two countries icy.

While relations are on the mend after Abe visited the two countries last October, he has recently angered the neighbors with remarks that appeared to question the state's role in forcing women to work in military brothels during World War Two.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-10 13:44:21 |Display all floors
Starting war with China might not be supported by the Japan monarch, but by most japanese at that time, th government just wanted to invade, subjugate, and loot resources from China.

Shinzo Abe is not a exception concering the attitude thoward ww2 among japanese politicans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-11 13:32:13 |Display all floors
The Japan always want to hide sth for their invasion .So large scale war  would be spported by whole nation .I think Japan should confess its mistakes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-13 20:02:22 |Display all floors
The emperor was for the ww2 still, but had some different considerations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-13 21:15:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by whiteehorse at 2007-3-11 13:32
The Japan always want to hide sth for their invasion .So large scale war  would be spported by whole nation .I think Japan should confess its mistakes.

Ummm....

Nodding my head and rubbing my chin ....

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-13 21:16:38 |Display all floors

ALAS!

ALAS!

When History is re-written, it will never be the same again ....

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-13 21:18:35 |Display all floors

Ooops.....

sorry my english isn't always the best.

"re-written" or ww?

Nope, ww isn't "wee wee"

Fill me in, someone?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.