Views: 40886|Replies: 114

What the British did to Africa [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-26 20:31:14 |Display all floors
Why is Africa in the state it is?

How did the British systematically destroyed African culture and civilization?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-27 16:46:23 |Display all floors
How did the British systematically destroyed African culture and civilization?  

That begs the question, do you know African culture well enough to say Africa would have wound up better had it been left alone(by the Europeans)?

Or do you know of any African culture at all?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-1 06:20:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by diaboloist at 2007-2-27 16:46

That begs the question, do you know African culture well enough to say Africa would have wound up better had it been left alone(by the Europeans)?

Or do you know of any African culture at  ...

I know enough to be able to say:

(1) Slavery is wrong!
(2) Colonialism is wrong!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 05:44:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2007-3-2 00:31
He knows "enough" to proclaim that "slavery is wrong"...
And how many millions of Chinese peasants get enslaved by the Party and/or vested business interests? Remember, million ...

You sound like the colonial type!

I bet you wish that you were back in the "good old days"  when you could whip the hide off the natives.

Are you jealous of what your forefathers did?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 11:39:01 |Display all floors

Reply #1 changabula's post

How about giving us some "JUICY STORIES" about British Activities in Africa.

Talk about attempts to introduce "Foreign Culture" to the "Developing Africans" and of Revenue tapping via liquor etc.
It'll be fun to study history of Africa.

Anyway, the British were about as strategic as the Portugese (who only occupy strategic ports, due to shortage of manpower, and tap revenue of trading activities)......they were keen only on developing the most strategic assets.

Green Dragon
History Analyst

[ Last edited by greendragon at 2007-3-2 11:40 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 13:22:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-3-1 06:20

I know enough to be able to say:

(1) Slavery is wrong!

Thats modern day rightousness only, not necessarily valid during the relevant period in question.  We can hold our nose up on it because technology has improved so far that some if not all forms of human labor are increasingly treated as redundant and replaceable . We are talking machines, artificial intelligence even.  

(2) Colonialism is wrong!

Was it also wrong for the Europeans to introduce nation buildings, to lay  in infrastructure, power systems,roads, rails, plumbings, ports, schools and hospitals?  As well as for a time and dependant on specific nationalities of the colonizers, rule of law.  These are all pretty much gone now or on the way.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 08:12:52 |Display all floors
greendragon:

OK I think the time is right to unleash the information so that all can see. Hoever, its bloodcurdling stuff. Can your stomach take it?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.