Author: uligen

When can China stop calling itself a poor country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-16 12:55:19 |Display all floors
I would consider mainland China to be a middle income nation when it reaches a per-capita GDP of roughly $10,000. Of course, by the time that happens, the goalposts will have moved.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 21:14:50 |Display all floors
I thought that the average income here was still only about 1000 RMB per month, which works out to about 800 pounds a year, which is still third world wages, essentially.  Also re. purchasing power parity, doesn't really add up.  I mean if you are on 1000 per month and a single apple costs 1 RMB, that's quite expensive.  I mean you don't pay a pound for an apple in England.  And let's not even go there re. the costs of non-Chinese goods in China...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-19 04:26:34 |Display all floors

Wealth Is Relative

China has indeed improved it's economic wealth for those skilled and white collar workers, but remains very poor in the farming and rural wealth, compared to the rest of the world. China should indeed be proud that it provides a modest yet cost effective income to many chinese.

The downside to this statement however, is china's poor "World Purchase Power" for the average chinese. Example here say a yearly earnings of 72,000 Yuan (considered high in china) would only equate to roughly $9,400 US per year. That would be $14,200 below the poverty level worldwide.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-26 16:58:45 |Display all floors
What about China's large foreign reserves of more than 1 trillion USD? And yearly RmB appreciation. Alhough not everyone in China is rich, but if only 20% are rich, that's 260 million people!
Not forgetting many rich countries have large current account and budget deficits,
USA - close to 900 billion USD current account deficit!
Britain - more than 150 billion USD current account deficit!
India - more than 50 billion USD current account deficit!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-4 10:49:14 |Display all floors
Very true, China is not at all poor.  I can't care less about the people who are living below standard if their government cares more about making rockets and shooting satellites and finding ways to invest on that 1 trillian dollars..  Sucks to be them who are living in a country who just don't care... or maybe the government really doesn't want to care.  I know this is pretty anal for me to say this, but the Chinese government has been trying very hard to limit the growth of population right?

They have no rights to say they're poor, complain it to their leader.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-6 07:54:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by uligen at 24-2-2007 16:54
China's GDP per capita at purchasing power parities is now about 8000 US dollars. The world average is 10000 US dollars. How long will it take for China to catch up? Assuming a 3% world growth in G ...

Still a very long way because of the humongous population, of which more than 50% are still living in poverty and are struggling to make ends meet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-11 14:31:12 |Display all floors

reply #19

" They have no rights to say they're poor, complain it to their leader" .  

why are their rights to complain "we are remaining poor" dis-allowed (by you)?  only through airing their sufferings, and speaking aloud their lawful thirst for a better living, to the public, the leaders included,  there will be a chance that their voices, though weak,  could be heard.   And, policies including free rural-education, free-medical-treatment, etc. can be given to them.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.