Author: uligen

When can China stop calling itself a poor country? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-27 11:10:26 |Display all floors
In non-economic terms, China has constantly been one of the richest countries in the world; culture, arts, history and social ferment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 02:26:41 |Display all floors
China lifted the most people out of poverty in the shortest period of time in history.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-28 08:22:29 |Display all floors
Mark Wu speaks the truth. There is much more to life than absolute bank balance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-1 10:41:55 |Display all floors
GDP is an  important measurement of national richness.  However, there is too much statistical bias  
in GDP.So some other indicators are also neededl. Let me give some comparsion between China and U.S.:
     The ratio of urbannization: 40% of Chinese living in the cities, it is the level of U.S. in 1900.
     The using of durable goods in households(TV, refrigerator, automobile), Chinese level is that of  U.S. in 1940s.
     The industrial structure(agriculture,  manufature, sevice..), Chinese level is that  U.S. in 1920s.

From these indicators, we can see that China is really a developing country because it is much lagged.

[ Last edited by cliffal at 2007-3-1 10:43 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-2 06:32:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cliffal at 2007-3-1 10:41
GDP is an  important measurement of national richness.  However, there is too much statistical bias  
in GDP.So some other indicators are also neededl. Let me give some comparsion between China and U.S.:
     The ratio of urbannization: 40% of Chinese living in the cities, it is the level of U.S. in 1900.
     The using of durable goods in households(TV, refrigerator, automobile), Chinese level is that of  U.S. in 1940s.
     The industrial structure(agriculture,  manufature, sevice..), Chinese level is that  U.S. in 1920s.

From these indicators, we can see that China is really a developing country because it is much lagged.

And what was the urbanization ratio 5 years ago? Or the industrial structure? The point is that these indicators change VERY FAST in China, much faster than the US did 60-70 or 80 years ago, because China is in a CATCH-UP phase, not a world leader phase, like the US was (and is).

Very few would call South Korea a poor country, even if it lags the US. In 2020, China will be just as rich as South Korea was in 2005. That speaks volumes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-3 23:13:42 |Display all floors
1. I did not make a detailed comparison between China, South Korea, Austrailia, Italy and other countries, it need some work. But I can give a rough estimation:
according to these indicators, China is much lagged than South Korea and other
OECD countries. Once I compared  the ratio of tertiary industry(services) among different countries, the rank of China was about  50~60 in the world.
    So China is not only lagged than U.S., but also lagged than other developed
countries.In some aspect  the gap is rather big.
2. Yes, China is growing very fast. It made China more and more rich. However,
the efficiency of Chinese growth is not so poor, such as the resource saving,  
technological competiveness.
    The key problem is whether the  Chinese economic growth  is  sustainable.
The controversy of this question is  hot in academic area.  It is very complicated.
What is your opinion? I am not so optimistic.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-16 12:48:30 |Display all floors
China is developing and no nation can brand it poor. If China is poor, then who's poorer?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.