Views: 6233|Replies: 23

Have you ever been on a crash diet? [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2007-2-23 04:59:04 |Display all floors
Society's messages about body image are generally shaped by the media, the beauty industry and outdated notions of health and fitness. These messages define body shape and size as targets for regulation and control. Ironically, a majority of media photos that portray women with "perfect" bodies are enhanced by modern technology to achieve the effect, or portray women who may actually be seriously underweight. At best, such figures may be natural for only a small percentage of the population.

It is both unfair and unrealistic to expect everyone to look like these so-called perfect women, but the power of such images remains hard to resist. It may be difficult to give up the pursuit of this mythical perfect body size, even though that pursuit may end up being detrimental to one's emotional and physical health. Perhaps it would be easier if the ideals were not so
Society's messages about body image are generally shaped by the media, the beauty industry and outdated notions of health and fitness. .

I have been so much influenced by this attitude that I accept a 'crash diet'quite often.When I put on some weight then I start starving.I can't avoid it and I suffer so much.
I am so hungry ,I am starving.I am jealous of thin people and I am also jealous of food.What can I do?
I really    love China,半个 中国 人

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-23 09:55:01 |Display all floors
eat five smaller meals a day and go for a walk every night and you will keep a steady weight , most people put on weight because their metabolism slows down between meals , if you only have three meals or two meals a day then no sooner your metabolism kicks in than it is time for it to slow down , five smaller meals spread out through the whole day and a good walk before bed keeps that metabolism going :) and you feel better :) :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-23 10:32:55 |Display all floors
Crash diets are no good for long-term weight loss. You can lose a few pounds of water weight that way, but it won't stay off. I agree with the "smaller meals more frequently" thing. I confess I've never been on a real diet, but it's a simple fact that the hungrier you are, the more you'll eat and the faster you'll eat it when you do get a meal. That works against you, because it takes your brain a while (20 minutes, I think) to tell your body it's full. You'd be surprised--bodies don't need all the food we put into them sometimes.

Also, exercise is good. I'm lazy and a little poor, so I have no gym membership, but there are plenty of things you can do just in and around your house. Walks are great. So are easy things like crunches and push-ups. It doesn't sound like much, but if you're diligent and do it daily, you'll see results.

Let's see... other notes: don't exercise less than an hour or so before bed; it gets your adrenaline flowing and can make it harder to sleep. Don't skip breakfast, because that gets your metabolism going early in the morning. Eat slowly. Raw fruits and veggies make great snacks; so do nuts (just don't overdo it).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-23 17:32:21 |Display all floors
Oh, such great advice! Nice reminders there. Perhaps I'll go have a handful of nuts now.

Xilaren, I understand about the media; it's so easy for people to say "well just don't listen to them" and to ignore the media messages, but it's really very difficult. Even when I was in the US with TV I rarely watched it, but in some cultures (mine) we were raised with messages of what's beautiful or not, and it's VERY hard to get rid of those things that are ingrained in us.

Sometimes I think if I was on a deserted island, just me, I really wouldn't care if my butt's a little big. I really wouldn't. But in a society with all these people I am sometimes conscious of what I look like and I feel like something's wrong with me because my bottom half is a size larger than my top half. Ugh. And it doesn't help when guys ogle over the gorgeous women in front of us, it just makes us feel worse - DID YOU HEAR THAT GUYS?

Someone I know, when this topic comes up, tells me to ignore all that. He says why should I care, I should be stronger than all those messages. But that's so much easier said than done. I think it's stronger than a religion in some cases. It's so deep and so old, and subconscious.

When you're thinking of those women, or of dieting, just put your HEALTH first. Ask yourself if you're healthy and eating or exercising in a healthy way. If you aren't, do it and you will look better too. If you already are, but you're still unhappy with your body, eat a bit healthier or exercise a little more. It can't hurt. But crash dieting is useless and harmful.

Now I must go try to take my own advice.... *sigh...*
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-23 18:01:47 |Display all floors

my real problem

Originally posted by cyberspook at 2007-2-23 09:55
eat five smaller meals a day and go for a walk every night and you will keep a steady weight , most people put on weight because their metabolism slows down between meals , if you only have three m ...

It is very difficult for me to be on a balanced eating custom.
The most important reason is that we have many social obligations every weekend.All these obligations have to do with eating.You understand what I mean.Either invited to lunches or dinners or to restaurants.
If I do not eat properly the hostess won't be happy.So I overeat every weekend.Then in order to keep fit I have to be on a diet for the rest days of the week.
If I am not on a diet the rest of the days then kilos will be accumulated.
This is my life .I hate it.I want to be able to enjoy food .I also want to enjoy nice clothes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-23 18:05:13 |Display all floors

the best solution

Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-2-23 10:32
Crash diets are no good for long-term weight loss. You can lose a few pounds of water weight that way, but it won't stay off. I agree with the "smaller meals more frequently" thing. I con ...

The best solution for me is to go and live in China.ha ha

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-24 02:55:10 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xilaren at 2007-2-23 18:05

The best solution for me is to go and live in China.ha ha

don't  haha so earlier,it is not quite optimistic in china, :):)
u know,the best selling goods in china are various slimming and bosom enlargement food or medicine. many girls keep trying many of them including my gf when she was young.

man conquer the world but women conquer men(i don't know clearly how to say in English).
just as men's hardworkingto make momey,You did the right job.
keep making efforts, that's your weapon.;P

[ Last edited by land_yu at 2007-2-24 02:57 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.