Author: zglobal

China Beware [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-21 15:18:16 |Display all floors
"Yet some aliens, of whatever motives, attack ours as "backward", "counterpart-productive to development" and "low-quality". Is this your western "freedom of speech"?"

I was maybe offensive, but it is not an attack, it is my opinion. I read extensively on Chinese history and I cannot think of another nation that has been or still is held back by such a resilient but inappropriate culture.

And yes , this is freedom of speech. To think as an individual and be able to speak your mind, something must Chinese are unable to do, because of, yes, you guessed it, a legacy of chinese culture......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 16:37:05 |Display all floors
colorfulwolf:

Yours is a common generalisation of the chinese culture. Chinese always say what they want, except maybe not immediately or not directly. Is this a part of the chinese culture, yes, but it also served to keep everyone's life easier. It is one of the secret that the Chinese Culture has survived for such a long time.

My personal sentiment aside, it will be interesting to see whether this ancient indoctrinization program survive its clash with western's ideology.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 16:40:33 |Display all floors
And yes , this is freedom of speech. To think as an individual and be able to speak your mind, something must Chinese are unable to do, because of, yes, you guessed it, a legacy of chinese culture......

The Chinese don't claim superiority in individual thinking against other countries, but to think that a common dissenter dares to make this claim is beyond outragous. I shall thus blithely gloss this statement over as one of your delusional frustration venting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 16:42:12 |Display all floors
Can I just say that I think there are pluses and minuses about both countries (I am only comparing China to the UK here).

Pluses about China:

- Less dangerous out on the streets, fewer dodgy teenagers etc.  Chinese children are still children and not trying to be adults.
- Generosity of the culture.  I hate it when I go to a restaurant in the UK and people sit there arguing over who owes the last 20p.
- Cheap housing (although mind you, I suppose compared to the average Chinese salary, it isn't actually that cheap)
- More respect for old people, with some exceptions (if an old man is unlucky enough that only his daughter remains, he will not be looked after, as his son is supposed to be looking after him, this has happened to my wife's granddad on her mother's side, he is in some filthy old people's home, I asked why he can't move in with my wife's parents, she said that because it's his daughter's side of the family, so no chance).
- Excellent public transport system, really, and so cheap.  The UK should be ashamed of its crumbling, expensive, underfunded system.

Pluses about the UK:

- Parks.  Dalian is the first place in China I've found with real parks, i.e. places where you can just go and sit on the grass and relax.  Everywhere else this doesn't seem to exist.
- And indeed relaxation in general.  I understand that Chinese cutlure views people wanting to just enjoy their own company as sinister. Well, sometimes we all just need time alone!
- Nature.  Being able to go to the countryside and wander where one wants, up hills, without huge concrete steps carved up the sides.
- Being able to sit in a nice pub beer garden, in a park, with one's friends, and just relax and chat all day
- Accessibility of general public amenities.  In China, if you are a rich businessman, then the plethora of gyms, golf courses etc becomes affordable, but for the average person on 1000-2000 RMB a month, these things are just not affordable, and there really isn't much else for people to do.
- Museums.  One friend commented the irony that in London she could go to the wonderul British Museum for free, whilst in 'communist' China, the museum in Beijing charged for entrance
- Diversity of cuisine, art galleries, cinemas, theatre, the arts.  i.e. CULTURE!!! It IS there in the UK - shame our media concentrates on the negatives all the time!  And eating something from abroad costs the same as something from the UK
- Transparency.  If I want to open a shop, it will cost a lot of money for the initial opening, but things are NON CORRUPT, once my shop is open , THE POLICE CANNOT JUST COME ALONG AND SHUT MY SHOP DOWN BECAUSE THEY FEEL LIKE IT!!! Only if, say it is a restaurant, it transgresses rulings on say hygiene
- Availability of health care for all.

[ Last edited by renegadedog9 at 2007-2-21 04:44 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 17:37:24 |Display all floors
I should add with a bitterness that the UK owe all of the below (those in quotes) largely to its imperialistic haydays. In a sense, UK continues to benefit from its global colonisation in the past. Who said empires are not good? ;)

- Accessibility of general public amenities.  In China, if you are a rich businessman, then the plethora of gyms, golf courses etc becomes affordable, but for the average person on 1000-2000 RMB a month, these things are just not affordable, and there really isn't much else for people to do.
- Museums.  One friend commented the irony that in London she could go to the wonderul British Museum for free, whilst in 'communist' China, the museum in Beijing charged for entrance
- Diversity of cuisine, art galleries, cinemas, theatre, the arts.  i.e. CULTURE!!! It IS there in the UK - shame our media concentrates on the negatives all the time!  And eating something from abroad costs the same as something from the UK
- Availability of health care for all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 18:04:43 |Display all floors
Rubbish.  That is only true for the museum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 20:56:48 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.