Views: 81739|Replies: 381

China Beware [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-17 12:27:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 23:40:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by zglobal at 2007-2-17 12:27
China is in 5th gear and moving at 100 kilometres an hour.

Actually, every time I ride in a taxi, I wonder why we're going 35kph while the driver has the taxi in 5th gear :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 00:56:10 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 14:44:02 |Display all floors
Everything in China is fast even its slowing down.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 22:11:17 |Display all floors

Excellent Post

zglobal:

That was a very well written post, but I worry it will fall on deaf ears. Unfortunately, most people involved in the article (the alledgedly "westerner" and the chinese alike) will likely dismiss you as a sinophile. Westerners (especially those who haven't been to China) will continue to think China as human rights hell hole and the Chinese will continue to think of the western countries as "advance" societies, and I fear that during the process of  "learning" from her western counterparts, China inevitably become worse.

The force of history is greater than any individual and nothing you and me say can change the trend. China must be allowed to learn from the mistake of viewing other societies as advance. Even if her blunder might cost us a repression or two.

There was a chinese say that goes: The onlookers always have a clearer view. I guess that puts you and me on the seats of the onlookers, which by nature, cannot influence the outcome of the events because we are not the participants.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 23:43:13 |Display all floors

to #5

I lived in China for 9 months between 2004 and 2005 as a study-abroad student. I spent most of my time in Beijing, but traveled quite a bit around the rest of the country. Just an introduction for who I am.

I have a general opinion about China, which was/is held by many of my fellow study abroad participants and students of Chinese language and culture in general: We love the Chinese people, language, culture, history, food, etc... we hate the Chinese government. We are glad China's economy is doing so well; we like the hospitality of the people we have encountered (there have been exceptions, of course, but there will always be exceptions); we even like the Chinese language, though it sometimes gives us headaches. But the utter lack of transparency in the Chinese government and their death grip on the media is worrisome to us. We know our democratic homeland (the US) has flaws, too, but at least criticism of the government is allowed. Those are my thoughts on the matter; I'll elaborate if you wish.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 01:09:17 |Display all floors
I thik totally the opposite, chinese culture is backwards superstitious crap, the people are of low quality but it still works as a country because of  the efficient and well-considered govt policies

clearly not all us westerners agree

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.