Author: gangsta

Is it Racism to be called Foreigner or Laowai in China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-20 21:50:27 |Display all floors

nth racist

there's nothing racism in referrin to a non-chinese by the words "foreigners" or laowai.they are just words used to differentiate the nationalities

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 01:53:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gangsta at 2007-2-13 04:52 PM
Is it Racism to be called Foreigner or Laowai in China?

i believe so... and its terrible that the chinese populace, for better or worse, has wholeheartedly adopted laowai as a generic word for “foreigner” and its condescending overtone has been largely mitigated. you now even hear it quite often on tv

and it must be challenged

how about using waibin (foreign guest)? :)
w and c.JPG
"It ain't no thang but a chicken wing."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 06:00:41 |Display all floors
If you don't want to be call laowai, don't go to China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 15:24:25 |Display all floors
^ they'll come to ur country and do it 4 u

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-21 16:25:53 |Display all floors
Very often while walking down the street, I'll hear someone loudly say "ni kan kan...laowai".  Funny thing is, I very seldom see the person that said it.  I think in some way, people don't want to say this if you're looking directly at them...perhaps because they feel it's wrong??

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-22 00:04:14 |Display all floors

Racism

It is racism if they call a person a laowai or foreigner based on their race because race and nationality are two different things, if you saw his or her passport then it isn't racism.
There are many yellow people with black hair who are British, American, Canadian and a host of other nationalities. There are also some minorities who have become Chinese.
Also the word foreigner itself is considered insulting or rude, if you said foreign national it would sound much more polite. But in most countries they would say a white guy, oriental man/woman or a black guy.
Chinese are generally less open to this than we are here in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-22 06:07:31 |Display all floors
Sheet i gues i call my white friends " niga",

but something about people on the street shouting "laowai", na ko ni, even, a touch that i love, " foreigner"; in case i didnt  get it.

IVE NEVER SEEN ANY OTHER COUNTRY WHERE THEY SHOUT  ' FOREIGNER' AT U.

Ive never seen another country that tried to build a wall around it.

i just kinda get used to the name 'laowai'
---- they nudge taiwanese making 10k$  deals  out the way so  some laowai can make  a new 50rmb note from a torn one.
gotta just love and hate

there are no insults for white people that count, thats just the way it is. but even marthin luther king calling the southern irish  'niggaz"   didnt help

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.