Views: 15020|Replies: 35

Don't Spit in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-9 13:00:50 |Display all floors
BEIJING (AP) - No spitting and get in line. That's the message Beijing city officials are trying to get across 18 months before the Olympics open in China's capital.

"Everyone will be fined for spitting," read the headline in Thursday's Beijing Daily Messenger.

In a city of 15 million, jumping ahead in line is common. So is spitting and littering, which officials hope to restrain in an effort to improve the city's image.

Officials have announced a range of measures including "punishment and reward" programs to improve conduct.

One campaign for "civilized behavior" kicks off Sunday in the Wangfujing shopping area, located just east of Tiananmen Square. This will be the first "Queuing Day," which will take place on the 11th of each month.

The 11th was picked because the two numbers - 1-1 - resemble two people lining up.

Spitting could start to become costly.

People spitting could be fined up to 50 yuan, or $6.50. In Beijing, 50 yuan is the daily income of a Chinese college graduate. It can also buy 16 subway tickets on the Beijing system.

"Fifty yuan is a fairly hefty warning for spitters," said Zhang Huiguang, director of the Beijing Civil Affairs Bureau. "The amount of money is not the most important, the most important is to warn people."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-10 15:41:22 |Display all floors
I've seen people spit in stores, buses, and other unbelievable places.  I even saw a woman work up a good one once...and spit on the CARPET in the lobby of a nice hotel.  I couldn't believe it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-11 23:57:32 |Display all floors

Ahh, spitting is not so bad...

I've seen worse things in other countries - reminded me of the old poem

In days of old, when knights were bold,
And toilets weren't invented,
You dropped your load along the road,
And walked away contented.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-17 23:49:13 |Display all floors
I go to China every year and usually spend most of my time hanging in the over-crowed urban areas in Southeastern China. Each time after a few days staying there, habitually but not always, I start feeling sputum produced from my throat, most likely due to excess airborne dirt and dust in the surroundings, I have to admit, more often than not, there is an impulse in my subconscious to spit the sputum out my mouth when it happens, to comfort myself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 14:49:06 |Display all floors
I have been to the usa several times
comparing the two I found
China is super clean

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 08:57:42 |Display all floors

Doctors say you can swallow the sputum

Originally posted by johndoe at 2007-2-17 23:49
I go to China every year and usually spend most of my time hanging in the over-crowed urban areas in Southeastern China. Each time after a few days staying there, habitually but not always, I start ...

Respect science please.  
Doctors say you can swallow the sputum. By doing this, your gastric juice kills the germs in the sputum. So you don't just kill the germs but also help not spreading germs but spitting.

Don't believe what I say. Check it up yourself.
Vision without action is illusion---Y.J.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-19 09:17:21 |Display all floors

to #6

Would you do us a favor and cite some specific examples?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.