Views: 5208|Replies: 3

[原创][E-C 练习] "Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat" (节译) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-1 14:26:40 |Display all floors
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=391

Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

First Speech as Prime Minister
May 13, 1940
to House of Commons

...I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, "come then, let us go forward together with our united strength."

……我对下议院的各位议员重申我曾对本届政府官员做出的保证:“我将献出我的鲜血、努力、眼泪和汗水,别无其他。”

我们面对的是最艰难困苦的考验,是日复一日、月复一月无休止的斗争和挫折。那么,我们的对策是什么?我的回答是:准备开战,从海洋、从陆地、从天空——用所有我们自己的、和上帝给予我们的资源和力量,与那个如狰狞猛兽的、犯下最卑鄙无耻罪行的残暴政权作战。这就是我们的对策。那么,什么是我们的目标?我用两个字回答:胜利。付出一切代价,排除所有恐惧,无论需要多长时间,经历多少困难,都在所不惜。只有胜利,才能生存。其中利害必须明了。英国的存亡,英国所代表的价值的存亡,人类追求和尊严的存亡,都在此一举。我充满信心和希望地就任此职,确信我们迎战的策略已经获得民众的支持。现在,我作为首相向全国呼吁,我呼吁:“不要再等待,让我们一心一意,全力以赴。”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 15:47:33 |Display all floors

You are so smart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 21:09:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by nyleda at 2007-2-1 14:26
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=391

Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

First Speech as Prime Minister
May 13, 1940
to Ho ...

Nydela,
Wonderful translation! This must not be the easiest of speeches to translate, but you had done it really well. I have learnt quite a few terms by reading your version!  

I find it very interesting that while repetition is often used as a rhetorical device in English speeches (as in “victory at all cost, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be) in Chinese it is clearly not used, since you say 胜利 only once, and then say : 付出一切代价,排除所有恐惧,无论需要多长时间,经历多少困难。。。

If I may make a small observation: in the original, Churchill uses the term British Empire. He was clearly rallying the country in the name of the whole British Empire  and himself seemed to believe that the future of the ‘Empire’ was at stake. So would it be better to translate ‘British Empire’ as 大英帝国  rather than   英国as you have done?

WB

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-2 11:18:59 |Display all floors
hello, WB, thanks for commeting! yes, like in english, repetition is used in chinese for rhetoric, too, and, as expected, mostly for literary expression. the passage you have mentioned can also be translated into a more poetic expression:

It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be -->  即“胜利”,不惜一切代价的胜利,征服一切恐怖的胜利,经历漫长时间及无数困难的胜利

you are also right that the phrase "British Empire" means 大英帝国 or 大不列颠帝国, referring to all the people and land that were "under the name of the Queen" at the time. and i would like to add here that the passage "(without victory, there will be) no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for" may be literally translated to (如不获胜,) 大不列颠帝国(将)不复存在,大不列颠帝国所代表及赖以生存的一切(将)不复存在, the underlying structure of which, "如不获胜 something 将不复存在" has a more compact equivalent  "something's 存亡在此一举", that is, the one i adopted for my translation.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.