Author: changabula

Chinese Role Models and Heroes [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-4 08:49:58 |Display all floors
Su Wu

Su Wu (ca. 140-60 B.C.) was a Han diplomatic envoy to the Xiongnu. He was held hostage by the Xiongnu and pressed to defect. However, he refused and in an attempt to break his will, the Xiongnu subjected him to extreme hardship. Su Wu, steadfast in his loyalty to the Han, refused to join the Xiongnu and instead won the admiration of other defected Han officials working with the Xiongnu.

After 20 years in captivity, the Xiongnu relented and sent him home in 81 B.C. He returned an old man but was celebrated in his old age and posthumously by the Han dynasty and suceeding generations.

Impact on Chinese history

Su was often regarded as the epitome of faithful service in light of great odds and trials. His story was often invoked when acts of great faith or courage were performed by officials. His story, as undetailed as it was in actual history, often became subjects of drama, poetry, and songs throughout Chinese history.

A traditional Chinese melody, "Su Wu Mu Yang" , is based on the story of Su Wu herding sheep. It is generally played on a Chinese flute.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_Wu"

1. http://www.chinahistoryforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6527
Copy code

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-2-4 08:56 AM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-4 16:22:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-2-3 15:41
Jackie Chan
A great sense of humour, self deprecation and a great film maker.

I love Jackie Chan's early movies which he made in Hong Kong.
We see them on TV in the original Cantonese language with Englis ...

Funny, I could have sworn that I also mentioned the great heart surgeon Victor Chang.

I wonder why the post about him has disappeared?

Hilarious, the silly responses to Victor Chang and the Tank Man are still here, but the original posts are gone.

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-2-4 06:24 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-4 17:16:00 |Display all floors

I Wonder Why

I wonder why it is that the white jerks still feel qualified to opine on who is and is not a Chinese hero.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-4 18:42:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tongluren at 2007-2-4 19:16
I Wonder Why
I wonder why it is that the white jerks still feel qualified to opine on who is and is not a Chinese hero.  

Well in the case of Chang, he was an Australian (of Chinese background), who saved many lives through his skill as a heart surgeon. I think that qualifies him as a great man, regardless of ethnicity.

On the other hand, fools like you appear to choose "heroes" who are actually responsible for the deaths of thousands or millions of their own countrymen.

I think the jerks like you should pay a little more attention to the sensible values of the "white jerks".

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-2-4 08:43 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-5 11:37:14 |Display all floors
Fresher man
@--Aaron--@
      ~~~~~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-5 11:53:45 |Display all floors

A Heart Surgeon

A heart surgeon does surgery, for a fee.  That is what he does for a living, and a very good living at that.

What heart surgeon can revive national pride, the pride of a people in their own nation, reviving the hope and the purpose driving China upwards, back towards the berth that China occupied for much of the last 5,000 years?  

I know the Aussies would not understand, because they can never have the hope of becoming anything but a 2nd stringer, a 2nd rate country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-5 12:03:10 |Display all floors
All of them are great models of Chinese! Thank you for letting us realize how great we could be!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.