Author: changabula

Chinese Role Models and Heroes [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2008-4-14 16:02:21 |Display all floors
Golden girl lifts a nation
By Liu Wei (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-04-14 07:16

Actions speak louder than words, however the words of Olympic torch hero Jin Jing trumpeted louder than her brave deeds. "I would die to protect the torch," she said.

Jin Jing holds up the Olympic torch during the Paris leg of the relay. [Xinhua]

The 27-year-old Shanghai girl, whose name "Jin" means "gold", is now a national hero because of her triumph over adversity. The one-legged fencer put her body on the line for her country. Jin tightly grasped the torch as hysterical protesters tried to snatch it during the Paris leg of the relay on April 7. The wild protesters beat her and one angry man pulled her hair.

She fought back the tears and did not let go.

Jin is now known and loved by more than 1 billion people. The images of her fiercely protecting the flame from attackers and smiling in wheelchair are splashing on front pages all over China. Her story has been told through newspapers, TV shows, and on the Internet.

People marvel at her courage and call her the "smiling angel in the wheelchair".

"I burst into tears when I saw you protect the torch with all your effort. You defend the Olympic spirit," wrote one fan on sohu.com.

"I think you are the most beautiful girl in 2008," wrote another.

Jin arrived at Beijing airport last Thursday, the same time as pop star Jay Chou. The golden girl attracted much more attention than the Taiwan-based singer.

After receiving a hero's welcome, Jin said she did nothing great.

"Any Chinese or Olympics-loving torchbearer would protect the torch under such circumstances," she says.

But the circumstances were not for the faint hearted.

Jin was the third torchbearer during the Paris leg. On the early morning of April 7, she received a text message from a friend, who told her to be extra careful, because in London, some attackers tried to grab the torch.

So she prepared for the worst and insisted on holding the torch with her own two hands instead of following the original plan and placing it on a special support device connected to her wheelchair.

After she received the torch from the second bearer and before the torch was lit, several attackers rushed to her and tried to grab it.

She held onto the torch tightly and guarded it with her body. During the struggle her chin and shoulder were scratched.

Police, her guards and surrounding Chinese students helped her and the torch never left her hands during the scuffle. Despite the anger and the hurt, Jin says she tried her best to hold back the tears.

"I think if you know they will grab your national flag and insult it, everyone would do the same thing I did."

After the scuffle, she gave a smile to the 99 percent of Paris supporters who were supporting her and maintained it all the way.

Student Qiu Yu was on the spot recalled when the drama unfolded and said Jin's smile was a great encouragement for her and her fellow students who were there to support their motherland.

"You may not know how much we were cheered up and encouraged by your smile," Qiu told Jin in a TV talk show. "You are a role model and an upright and brave girl."

The attack infuriated Olympic chief Jacques Rogge, who said any attempt to take the torch from the athletes was destroying a dream.

"What shocked me most is when someone tried to rob the torch off a wheelchair athlete, a disabled athlete who was unable to defend the torch. This is unacceptable," the International Olympic Committee President said last Thursday.

In many interviews Jin attributed her heroic behavior to her three guards and the Chinese supporters in Paris.

"I was protecting the torch, and they were protecting me," she says. "They were fearless and facing up to the separatists. I was moved to tears seeing so many Chinese students waving national flags and singing our national anthem along the route."

Jin sent a text message to her mom after the incident.

"You can be proud of me".

Her mother Liu Huayao said Jin was always a strong and cheerful girl.

At 9, Jin lost part of her right leg due to a malignant tumor in her ankle. She survived the ordeal and worked as a telephone operator in a local hotel.

Her colleagues recalled that she took the bus to work by herself, saved her money to buy fashion magazines, and liked shopping with other girls. She was always cheerful and upbeat, despite her disability.

During a speech contest in 2001, Jin met a coach who invited her to join in the local wheelchair fencing team.

A big fan of fictional swordsman Zorro, Jin agreed, thinking fencing was something symbolizing justice and integrity. She picked it up quickly and won silver and bronze in the 2002 Busan Far East and South Pacific Games.

Although she did not win the chance to compete in this year's Paralympics, her optimism and cheerful personality won her a coveted place as torchbearer.

Like most girls at her age, the Shanghai native likes singing, dancing, photography and surfing the Internet.

Her favorite star is Andy Lau from Hong Kong, but she refuses to call him an "idol", because young people should be idols to themselves, she says.

In a TV show on Shanghai-based Dragon TV, she danced in her wheelchair.

The judges told her: "When a door is shut, a window is opened. Happiness at your heart is the most important."

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-04/14/content_6614357.htm
Jin.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-14 16:03:56 |Display all floors
Tributes to Jin
hero.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 06:43:54 |Display all floors
Chinese President Hu Jintao (R) hands over the award certificate to outstanding Chinese petrochemical scientist Min Enze at the awarding ceremony to grant the State Scientific and Technological Award for 2007 in Beijing, capital of China, on Jan. 8, 2008. (Xinhua Photo)

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/gyzg/t397764.htm
min.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-15 06:45:16 |Display all floors
Chinese President Hu Jintao (R) hands over the award certificate to outstanding Chinese botanist Wu Zhengyi at the awarding ceremony to grant the State Scientific and Technological Award for 2007 in Beijing, capital of China, on Jan. 8, 2008. (Xinhua Photo)

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/gyzg/t397764.htm
wu.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-19 05:25:38 |Display all floors
"Murong Xuan"

Don't Be Too CNN, don't turn black into white
By Zhang Haizhou (China Daily)
Updated: 2008-04-18 06:57
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2008-04/18/content_6625582.htm

The wave of anger and patriotism generated by CNN's recent offensive coverage of China has produced a smash hit song and stirred millions of Internet users into an online show of solidarity.

Don't Be Too CNN, a track that lampoons the network for its coverage and analysis of the Tibetan riots, is written and performed by an online singer who calls herself "Murong Xuan".

It is backed by a music video contrasting CNN footage and what is really taking place in Tibet, and the lyrics attack distorted and biased coverage of the recent riots in Lhasa.

"Why do you rack your brains in trying to turn black into white? Don't be too CNN," Murong croons.

"CNN solemnly swears that everything on it is the truth, but I've gradually discovered this is actually a deception."

As the song continues, images of burnt-out shops and smoke rising over Lhasa flash across the screen repeatedly.
"Don't think that repeating something over and over again (means that) lies become truth," the lyrics run.

The song had been played 160,000 times by 7 pm yesterday on video.sina.com.cn. Other portal websites have also used it.

One netizen left a message on the website requesting Murong to sing the song in English for "all peace-lovers around the world".

Hu Linlin from Ningbo, Zhejiang province, suggested it would be a good idea to promote the track through karaoke, arguably China's most popular form of entertainment.

"This will be the best way to make the song a real hit, " she said.

But K-TV heavyweights Partyworld and Melody said they didn't have any plans yet to promote the smash hit.

CNN's credibility has taken a dive in China ever since the network cropped photos of a mob attacking military vehicles from a photograph in order to portray an overbearing military presence in Lhasa.

The network again outraged the Chinese people when commentator Jack Cafferty called the Chinese "goons and thugs" and Chinese products "junk".

Meanwhile, millions of Chinese netizens put off by the bias in Western media coverage of the Tibetan riots have festooned their MSN messenger names with hearts and "CHINA".

MSN contact lists of netizens have steadily filled up with the symbols of solidarity since Wednesday.

One MSN user told reporters the symbol's ubiquity underlined the Chinese people's love for their country.

"Heart + CHINA means 'I love China'," said one user who calls herself "Heart + CHINA Yao" on her contact details.

"It also means all Chinese people are united in supporting our country when it faces challenges."
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-19 10:44:25 |Display all floors
Originally posted by seneca at 2008-4-19 10:42
IT's damn easy to be a Chinese "hero": Pick up a brick and throw it at any foreign-owned business in China - instant fame is yours.

Even easier: Join a gang of trouble-makers on a &qu ...

It's much easier to be a China basher. Blame everything you can't get in this world to the Chinese.

Instead of blaming own's laziness.
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2008-4-19 21:42:29 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gotohell at 2008-4-19 05:25
"Heart + CHINA means 'I love China'...

"It also means all Chinese people are united in supporting our country when it faces challenges."

'Red heart China' appears in netizens' MSN signatures
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2008-04-18 15:13

BEIJING -- About 2.3 million Chinese MSN users have added a pattern of "red heart" and the English word "China" in front of their online signatures to show their unity and patriotism.

MSN China spokesman Feng Guangshun released the figure on Thursday. Many more people have opened their MSN accounts to find a message which asked them to add the "red heart" and "China" in front of their signatures.

Feng said he expected the number of participants of this activity, which started Wednesday as a spontaneous patriotic campaign by Chinese Internet users, to raise dramatically in the following few days.

Many overseas Chinese have also taken up the logo. Li Zhen, a student studying at the Mathematics Department of Iowa State University added a dozen "red hearts" to his online signature.

Li said he and other Chinese students at his university printed out signs and logos of Beijing Olympics and put them up at his department to let more people know about Beijing Olympics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment from Ho Sai Yuen 2008-04-19 03:23

I LOVE OUR BELOVED MOTHERLAND CHINA TOO!!!
Please count me in as one of the patriotic supporters...!
I am so pleased to read of the solidarity and unquestionable unity of our dearest Chinese brothers and sisters both in China and all over the world.
CONGRATULATIONS AND MANY HEARTFELT WISHES TO ALL.
They have stand in solidarity behind the common motherland in the hour of need, now.
We Chinese want to show the entire world, particularly those in the West, that our determination and iron resolve will conquer anything...come what may.
Because our homeland of CHINA which we all love are full of achievements - economically, militarily, space-wise, and inter-harmony.
We shall forever protect our heritage or Shan-He or our sacred mountains and rivers.
Not one inch of our sacred territory shall be sacrificed or compromised - i.e. our Tibet, our Xinjian and our Taiwan.
These are Chinese terrritory and shall remain so forever, ever since our civilization begins on a bend of the Yellow River some seven thousand years ago.
We are descendants of the Yellow Emperor and we are ready to defend our land without hesitation.
Long live our dearest motherland China and her intelligent, hardworking and innovative people!!!

http://comment.chinadaily.com.cn ... s%27+MSN+signatures
red heart.jpg
You will reap what you sow!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.