Author: ptbptb

邱吉尔的演说,2006年的TEM8考试题选了几段 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-1 11:48:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by rovi297 at 2007-2-1 10:27
I bring up a couple of questions for discussion if it is interested.

这是一个演讲,是Churchill在很短时间内组成“战时内阁”之后,在下议院作的简短发言,先是简报组阁情况,然后请求被遗漏未给予职位的政党要员谅解,最后重申与第三帝国开战的决心、表达必胜的信念、要求存异求同,一心一意对付法西斯强权暴政

"urge"  与 "impulse" 一个是本能诉求,一个是及时创新,在这里意思相似,是“重叠”用法。

"the urge and impulse of the ages" 好像是说 长久以来一直不懈地追求和渴望。这个词组在语义上不完整,有待补充说明。
紧接的从句 "that mankind will move forward towards its goal" 给出有待补充的内容,究竟是谁在追求渴望(mankind),追求渴望什么(the goal mankind moves forward towards)。其中第二个问题仍然是虚指,关键词是 "forward",给出方向,与 "moves backward" 对应。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 14:03:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bigrose007 at 2007-1-29 21:23
I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

我想对新组阁的下院说句老话,那就是“ 我只有呕心 ...

I think, you  impose too much your own sentiment on it ,which will change the original meaning of the speech.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 14:19:29 |Display all floors
http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=391

Blood, Toil, Tears and Sweat

First Speech as Prime Minister
May 13, 1940
to House of Commons

...I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering. You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy. You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival. Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal. But I take up my task with buoyancy and hope. I feel sure that our cause will not be suffered to fail among men. At this time I feel entitled to claim the aid of all, and I say, "come then, let us go forward together with our united strength."

……我对下议院的各位议员重申我曾对本届政府官员做出的保证:“我将献出我的鲜血、努力、眼泪和汗水,别无其他。”

我们面对的是最艰难困苦的考验,是日复一日、月复一月无休止的斗争和挫折。那么,我们的对策是什么?我的回答是:准备开战,从海洋、从陆地、从天空——用所有我们自己的、和上帝给予我们的资源和力量,与那个如狰狞猛兽的、犯下最卑鄙无耻罪行的残暴政权作战。这就是我们的对策。那么,什么是我们的目标?我用两个字回答:胜利。付出一切代价,排除所有恐惧,无论需要多长时间,经历多少困难,都在所不惜。只有胜利,才能生存。其中利害必须明了。英国的存亡,英国所代表的价值的存亡,人类追求和尊严的存亡,都在此一举。我充满信心和希望地就任此职,确信我们迎战的策略已经获得民众的支持。现在,我作为首相向全国呼吁,我呼吁:“不要再等待,让我们一心一意,全力以赴。”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-2 01:11:00 |Display all floors

From Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English

Impulse has a few meanings, and one of them is:

3 [countable] a reason or aim that causes a particular kind of activity or behaviour
- It is the passions which provide the main impulse of music.

I think this interpretation fits the context here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-2 01:18:48 |Display all floors
Thanks, and based on the explanation:

- It is the passions which provide the main impulse of music
激情是音乐的脉搏

Let that be realised; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal.那几个世纪以来推动人类前进的脉搏便会停止?

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-2-2 01:26 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-2-2 03:20:57 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-3 13:17:37 |Display all floors
我参加了考试,TNND,就缺了一分,不过还是算我过了
哇哈哈
还真够现实的啊

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.