或者用 带头字相同的两个不同的词

[ Last edited by hly2008 at 2007-1-31 01:37 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-31 15:44:46 |Display all floors
我也参加了。
Heroes continues...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 04:10:42 |Display all floors
Let that be realized; no survival for the British Empire, no survival for all that the British Empire has stood for, no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal.

其中利害必须明了。英国的存亡,英国所代表的价值的存亡,人类追求和尊严的存亡,都在此一举。

here, the subsentence "no survival for the urge and impulse of the ages, that mankind will move forward towards its goal" is probably the most demanding in the whole text taken for the exam, where specifically the phrase "the urge and impulse" has got two modifiers, "of the ages" and the that-clause.

i read it as to mean that the historical course of mankind pursuing better material and spiritual life (人类不懈追求美好将来) will be interrupted and oppression and terror will fill the daily life instead (被迫过失去尊严的生活), if tyranny cannot be stopped.

a quite literal translation of this subsentence is 人类为求美好将来的意愿和活力就不复存在. however, to fit into the chinese text, i have adopted a more compact version: 人类追求和尊严的存亡.

[ Last edited by nyleda at 2007-2-1 10:15 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 10:08:54 |Display all floors
very nice!

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2007-2-1 10:27:36 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-1 11:34:22 |Display all floors
impulse and urge

impulse a sudden wish or urge that prompts an unpremeditated act or feeling; an abrupt inclination: had an impulse to run away; an impulse of regret that made me hesitate; bought a hat on impulse.

urge 2a. An impulse that prompts action or effort: suppressed an urge to laugh. b. An involuntary tendency to perform a given activity; an instinct: “There is a human urge to clarify, rationalize, justify” (Leonard Bernstein).

The differences are: an impulse is a sudden or abrupt desire that comes and goes; a urge may be involuntary or instinctual; it may be "deeper" than a mere impulse.

Often they're not really exchangeable. If you say "I felt an urge to tell the secret…" it means you felt an involuntary, maybe hard-to-resist, desire to tell. If you say "I felt an impulse to tell the secret…" it means you felt a sudden, unplanned desire to tell. They just have different emphases.

Here, though, they mean really the same thing.

the ages

"The ages" here seems to refer to all of human history.
中文我不会读也不会写。Really, I don't.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.