Author: voice_cd

US concerned over China's satellite-killing test [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-23 10:54:13 |Display all floors

we have the anti-secession law to bind us to protect Taiwan

US urged not to sell arms to Taiwan
(Reuters)

PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - China's envoy to the United States stepped up pressure on Washington on Thursday to abandon arms sales to Taiwan following recent pro-independence comments from Taiwan's leader.

While stressing that Sino-US relations "continue to make new progress," Beijing's envoy to Washington said the United States was sending the wrong signals to independence forces in Taiwan.

"If you are serious about your commitment to one China, you will stop selling weapons to Taiwan," Zhou Wenzhong said in response to a question at Brown University in Providence, Rhode Island, after giving a speech there.

He chided Washington for selling arms to Taiwan several times in a one-hour appearance at the Ivy League school. "Stop selling weapons to Taiwan and stop sending any wrong signals to Taiwan's independence forces," he said in his speech. "The civil war status between Beijing and Taiwan is not yet over."

Tensions across the Taiwan Strait were strained this month when Taiwan leader Chen Shui-bian said on March 4 that the island should pursue independence and change its official title, "the Republic of China."

China denounced Chen's statement as "deliberate provocation" and "a dangerous step." Zhou said Chen had become more "reckless and dangerous in pursuing Taiwan independence through the so-called constitutional reform."

Although it switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979, recognizing "one China," Washington said it is obliged by the Taiwan Relations Act to sell arms to the island.

Angering China, the Pentagon told Congress this month it had approved the possible sale of up to $421 million in missiles to Taiwan for use on its F-16 fighter jets.

Taiwan is also seeking to buy around 60 advanced Lockheed Martin Corp. F-16 C/D fighter aircraft to replace more than 40 mothballed F-5E fighter jets and other aging aircraft.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 11:05:32 |Display all floors

Reply #50 chinadaily's post

F-16 is obsolete? Correct?

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 11:14:22 |Display all floors

I am always in the opinion that CHINA must engage its brethrens in Taiwan!

This includes tying up Taiwan and China economically!

I think Mr. Chen is a "idiot" and we must do our utmost for peaceful reunification without causing alarm in Japan.

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 12:04:07 |Display all floors
I was hoping the Americans would make the missile thins A BIG issue, wich eventually did happen anyway!

I think America should keep on pressuring China more, all the way to the breaking point. China is WAAAY too obsessed with having "good relations" with the west! These people are IMPERIALISTS! You can negotiate with them, but there is a BIG difference in negoating and being there LAPDOG, wich China currently is now all because of Taiwan and some distant trade relations. Hopely pressure from the west well eventually FORCE China to finally resist them! This "trade relationship" with these people was a BIG mistake  from the very beginning!! There should be minimal diplomatic contacts and surdenly no military-to military "hotline" or any particapation in organisations like UN, IMF or WTO! The white mans personal clubs! We can always talk to them, but one must remember, they are our ENEMIES, not partners even by far!

[ Last edited by angloslayer at 2007-3-23 12:10 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-23 12:16:04 |Display all floors
"but, I think the main purpose is to protect our Taiwan."

LOL Funny, CCP-supporters have a uniquely different definition of the word "protect" from everyone else. Are you going to "protect" Taiwan in the same way the Israelis "protected" Hezbollah-controlled Southern Lebanon not so long ago? ROFLMAO

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-29 16:58:16 |Display all floors

"PROTECT"

Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-23 12:16
"but, I think the main purpose is to protect our Taiwan."

LOL Funny, CCP-supporters have a uniquely different definition of the word "protect" from everyone else. Are you goi ...

LMAO, thanks for bringing their usage of the word into focus. they've very diligently "protected" my homeland T i  b e t, too, over these decades. [hint: note the sarcasm]

peace,
tenzin

[ Last edited by tenzing at 2007-3-29 05:49 PM ]
"Be the change you want to see in the World." - Gandhi

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-29 17:20:35 |Display all floors

Go ahead if necessary

China should not be influenced by complain from U.S., we gotta do whatever necessary to enhance our defense power.
This time, nice try!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.