Views: 20032|Replies: 27

religious differences between East and West (let the images speak) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-8 06:35:34 |Display all floors
For some time I have been interested in the differences between Western and Eastern religious attitudes. And I feel that sometimes images spell out the differences much more clearly than words can do. Here are some of the pictures, do they speak for themselves or do I still need to comment on them? :)

Christ versus Buddha
(Christ from Isenheimer Altar by Matthias Grünewald; Buddha from Mathura, India, Gupta period)
i03e_02.jpg
GuptaMathura.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 06:56:10 |Display all floors

here another pair!

Christ versus Buddha
(Christ from The Disposition of Christ by Caravaggio; Buddha from Dunhuang Maogao Caves)
Caravaggio.jpg
P78.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 11:07:59 |Display all floors
I agree with your general sentiment, but still--what about depictions of Buddhist hell vs. depictions of Jesus healing people?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 14:36:43 |Display all floors

Reply #3 sockmonkey's post

i know is kind to us ,but i don't like western religon,it looks crude.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 14:39:47 |Display all floors

Reply #4 whiteehorse's post

when christ came into world ,it bring wars, attacks,and invasion.On the other hand ,buddhist ask us to do sth right .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 15:03:39 |Display all floors

but

far more people follow the precepts of islam in their daily lives than follow the teachings of Buddha so closely.

Thailand is a Buddhist country but, apart from monks and nuns, I do not see many people making a conscious effort to follow his teachings - most folks just ignore them, except for a trip to the temple on birthdays and special holy days.

Dubai and Oman etc are countries with Islam as their main religion and almost everyone fasts, gives to charity, prays every day and makes a conscious effort to follow islamic tradition.

I do not mind Buddhists if they do not mind me; their religion is with them and mine is with me. I don't want to make them change.

To be successful a religion should be simple (someone above said "crude") because most people are not philosophers.

I admit that I do not understand Buddhism as a religion. As far as I can tell Buddha did not say he was a God to be worshipped; that would mean that he was a brilliant man from history whose intellect was greater than his physical presence and this put him in contact with something else.

In that case a comparison between Buddhism and a "Western" religion like Christianity would be like comparing wind and water.

It is also interesting to note that Islam has no comparable images to those in this post.

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-8 17:37:46 |Display all floors
....no need of those pictures to tell the differences, they're totally different to begin with....so...the point is..?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.