Views: 3185|Replies: 6

a story of my guest [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-2 03:10:03 |Display all floors
Yesterday, on New Year's Eve, just before 12 o'clock, an elderly man, his daughter and son-in-law came to the restaurant I work at. They were hungry and all other restaurants were closed. This elderly man was very properly dressed and gentle-mannered. He was visibly happy to be with his daughter and her husband, but  I could also see that he was very much lonely in himself (probably having lost his partner).
When it turned 12 o'clock, my boss invited them to light up some fireworks. The elderly man didn't know how to handle it and some sparks landed on his head. He didn't notice it at first but then he just kept scratching his head, until his son-in-law applied some creme on it. When we apologized to him, he just smiled and said no problem. He even ordered three glasses of prosecco to demonstrate his good mood.
Before he left, he gave me a lot of tips and wished me several times Happy New Year and Gong Xi Fa Cai in Cantonese (he has just been to Hongkong). I was deeply touched.
Until today I feel a bit lost in thought when I think about this old man. I know he won't read this but I wish him and all those good-hearted but lonely people in the world a Happy New Year!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 17:01:50 |Display all floors
Happy New Year to you.

This is a very touching story which makes us think of the future and how things will turn.
The good part is that this man had the chance to be with family members and not by himself as other elderly people do not even have this chance ...... Will be be as lucky in our later days?

food for thought!
"You do not have a second chance at making a first impression"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 18:02:57 |Display all floors
This is a very touching story which makes us think of the future and how things will turn.
The good part is that this man had the chance to be with family members and not by himself as other elderly people do not even have this chance ...... Will be be as lucky in our later days?

Hi, Dongiovanni, Happy New Year to you too!

Your thoughts were exactly also mine.

The question I often ask is why there are so many lonely, old men in Western countries. I see them everywhere in the streets and also in the restaurant I work at, having no family, no friends, no one at all to care for them. Many are even in the habit of talking to themselves in public, because they have no one else to talk to!

For some this is obviously self-inflicted. I also see every day where these old men come from: those young people who want nothing but partying. Or those middle-aged men who think because they have some money they can go out with any one. I am curious to know, do they ever think about their future?

But this old man, he obviously hasn't done anything to be as lonely as he is. Thats why I have so much sympathy for him.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 18:47:31 |Display all floors

oh,It's a true story about a old lonely man.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 19:09:53 |Display all floors
I worked with the elderly in the US for about 5 years. Yes, it can be very sad to see the ones who have no family, no friends, etc. Part of my job was to plan a social activity once a week for them. For some of them it was the only time they went out other than to see a doctor or for some  other necessity of life. As for a few of them, they had some family, maybe a few kids, but the kids lived far away due to work or moving to be with a spouse, and some hardly ever saw their families. I've asked some, 'Why don't you go move closer to your son?" and I've gotten varied answers. Some would say they like it here, where they grew up, and don't want to move to the city/country. Some had no family anywhere.

Most of them were women though. The life expectancy of women is higher than men, so usually it was the husband who died first, leaving the woman alone.
Also, it was usually women who came to our activities. A few men were there, but usually stayed home because they're "not intrested in gabbin'" (not interested in chatting, gossiping, complaining, etc) But the men would come out when there was a nice big holiday lunch!

[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2007-1-2 07:12 PM ]
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 19:18:23 |Display all floors
oh..yes..happy new year...
My new year wishes:
1.good health.
2.happiness
3.excellent studies.
4. wish someone happiness as well..
5.forget something and some ppl:)
typical Chinese girl...:)
I love my parents and let me keep smiling all my life。。。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 22:15:14 |Display all floors
Is it a big problem in western country? I think this may also become a social problem in China in the future, but now it seems ok, at least we have a tradition that the elder people are highly respected in the family, and usually they take care of  their grandchildren, which is a great help for the working parents.

Now this reminds me my grandma, who passed away at the age of 83 when I was only 8 years old. she has 6 sons and a daughter, when she was alive,the whole family respected her and looked after her, because of her, the big family (a typical large family—four generation) had lots of opportunity to get together during the holidays, especially the spring festival, her sons and daughter live in different places of China, after her death, they seldom get together since they have their own life and own family.

I hope that one day when I am old, I will live with  my family and also respected and loved by them.

In China,  it is said that it's really lucky to have old people in the family, the old are regarded as wise and experienced, I personally think this is really a very good tradition, I am also afraid that will this good traditon last long?

[ Last edited by lisatoong at 2007-1-2 10:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.