Author: chairman

CHINGLISH.........? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-18 17:10:27 |Display all floors

Teacher

When I was in the UK a Chinese man from Beijing taught me to say (in Chinese):

"How are you, F**k your mother"

I used to yell it at him from the other side of the street in London and he used to laugh himself silly.

He said I sounded like an offensive baby!

He taught me other terrible phrases too. Now you can understand why I try not to speak Chinese to people, I worry I might get mixed up!
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-18 20:37:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pandamonium at 2006-12-18 19:10
He taught me other terrible phrases too. Now you can understand why I try not to speak Chinese to people, I worry I might get mixed up! ...

Hmm, yeah I learned some similar insults in the Calabrian dialect of Italian, in high school.

A few years later when I tried 'em out on some Italian speaking workmates, after they stopped laughing, I got a bit of an italian lesson that "cacciafumo" was not proper Italian for chimney, and it might cause some confusion for the person to whom I suggested that they stick one up their arse.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 00:09:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-12-18 09:12
Freakyqi--my classmates and I, when in Beijing, called our speech "Englese." I don't really know if it's an accepted term, but I'm sure it's properly descriptive--Chinglish for what Chine ...

Yeah, I thought of that term too, but it didn't have quite the lovely ring that 'chinglish' has. I think I'm SUCH a beginner though, that I just have to call it "sucky chinese". Listening is the worst, the absolute worst! Just when I think I'm learning, or I know what I'll say, someone goes ahead and TALKS TO me. So fast... so many words... ugh.

Even when they are patient and speak slower, my brain gets stuck, especially considering all the homophones. "Shi" can mean so many things! And what does "huasheng" mean in regards to school or kids? I only knew it as peanut, but he wasn't talking about peanuts. In fact I made it into a joke at my own expense to point out how bad my chinese is. When I say "Dui buqi, wode zhongwen bu hao!" they don't seem to believe me. They think that if they keep talking, saying more & more, I'll understand. No, they have to say less & less. In fact, just give me 2-3 basic words & I'll figure out what you mean, none of these long drawn out descriptions. Talk to me like I'm a dog please. Or at least a  2 yr old human.

chairman - awwwww, you like me! I'm flattered! I have bad news though. You only like me because we've never actually discussed anything. I'm just warning you, that's all. But don't worry, I have no intention of carrying on any serious discussions in this forum. (ok, I have a couple times, but it's not my favorite thing to do)
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 11:55:19 |Display all floors

Funny signs

Isn't it OK to laugh at bad English - the funny signs

Chinese people laugh at me almost every day, but I don't care much. I just think Chinese TV must be terrible if they think I am entertaining.

Anyway I found a sign by the sea that said "Attention: Drowning accidents are now popular!"
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-19 13:04:11 |Display all floors

Isn't it OK to laugh at bad English - the funny signs

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 13:07:12 |Display all floors

and the people reading the sign...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-19 13:08:17 |Display all floors

Remember there are two sides to dumb....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.