Views: 12748|Replies: 31

System Busy - Please Try Again Later ??? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-13 03:44:45 |Display all floors
Is anyone else getting this message when attempting to post comments in the news section?   

I suspect this may be an attempt by China Daily to censor people but they are trying to make it look like it's a computer error......

The reason I say this is that it only happens when posting from one of my IP addresses (I have several).....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 04:51:20 |Display all floors
nope not me...I've been posting all day  ;)
Living in New York, Traveling in China.  Let's do business!
whiteboy4us@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:07:01 |Display all floors

I believe the censoring is selective....

You will only get this message if your IP address is on their "black list" for some unknown transgression....

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2006-12-12 02:28 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:21:09 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 05:44
Is anyone else getting this message when attempting to post comments in the news section?   

Welcome to the club, Mark.

This happened to me after I reposted a deleted comment (in the news section) a couple of times.

I could post from a work email account, but not from home.

This appears to be a permanent type of censorship as I had previously been "suspended" for a week or so and then access resumed.

I am not sure how this is done, technologically, as my DSL account doesn't have a fixed IP address.

Maybe time to try one of those "anonymous" IP services, it is very frustrating not being able to comment on some of the ignorant rantings in the news section.

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2006-12-13 08:24 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:37:19 |Display all floors

Thank you for confirming my suspicions!

The censorship doesn't actually bother me as much as the deception.  If they just said "You have been censored!" at least they are being honest and telling you the truth but by saying "System is Busy - Please try again later"  they are lying to you about why the post is not going through.

I always thought that Journalists were supposed to have ethics - you know, report the truth, protect your sources of information against the government, etc.   But for China Daily to endorse this policy of deception, it makes them seem like they don't have journalistic integrity.  Like they are just puppets of the government....  I hope this is not the case....

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 06:56:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 08:37
The censorship doesn't actually bother me as much as the deception.  If they just said "You have been censored!" at least they are being honest and telling you the truth ...

I totally agree.

This technical "excuse" is pathetic.
On my previous suspension in the news comments section the response message was different (I don't recall exactly what it said) and it was more obvious that you were getting a slap on the wrist for some recalcitrant posting behaviour.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 10:21:41 |Display all floors

To Mark069

Originally posted by mark069 at 2006-12-13 06:37
I always thought that Journalists were supposed to have ethics - you know, report the truth, protect your sources of information against the government, etc.   But for China Daily to endorse this policy of deception, it makes them seem like they don't have journalistic integrity.  Like they are just puppets of the government....  I hope this is not the case.... ...

Hi there, could you please comment on the news below.

Thanks before

http://www.prwatch.org/taxonomy/term/86?from=60

Embedded Reporters' Pronouns Aren't the Problem
Topics: Iraq | journalism

Source: Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media, 2006

A new Indiana University study concludes that "news reports by television reporters embedded with American troops in the early days of the Iraq War found little support for critics who question the journalists' objectivity." However, according to the study's abstract, the measure of objectivity was "the use of personal pronouns in embedded and nonembedded reports during CNN coverage of the 'Shock and Awe' campaign" and "the context in which personal pronouns were used by embedded reporters." While "there was more frequent use of personal pronouns by embedded reporters," the researchers judged the reports to be "void of personal values and ideologies." Whether embedded reporters were more or less likely to include the perspectives of Iraqis, United Nations officials, or war critics is not addressed. The media watchgroup FAIR has documented that U.S. television coverage of Iraq is "dominated by government and military officials."

[ Last edited by northwest at 2006-12-13 10:23 AM ]
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.