Views: 3286|Replies: 8

C-E translation [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-28 11:16:21 |Display all floors
在我看来,这个社会的西方属性不会因为亚洲移民增加而改变。

In my opinion, the Western attributes of this society will not change (merely) because of an increase in immigration from Asia.

Is this correct?

Thanks a lot!! Have a good day

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 11:31:20 |Display all floors
首先要弄明白"社会属性" 是哪个"属性", 是姓"资"姓"社"问题的属性, 还是生活方式, 意识形态或其他领域的"属性"?
个人认为, 原文"社会属性"这个词用得模糊,笼统.
If winter comes, can spring be frozen ahead?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 11:46:46 |Display all floors
Hi thanks for the reply.
我觉得他的意思是生活方式的属性,because before this paragraph, the writer wrote that Australia is in most respects a western country, the inheritor of the Westminster tradition, etc, and the point he is making is that immigration will not change its character, because immigrants also tend to assimilate into the  mainstream. Its just this sentence 在我看来,这个社会的西方属性不会因为亚洲移民增加而改变 seemed a bit convoluted, but i think i have got . Tell me if i haven't!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 12:36:37 |Display all floors

2 cents

In my opinion, an increase in asian immigrants will not result in a change in the social features of the western country.

In my opinion, the social features of a western country will not be changed because of an increase of asian immigrants.

[ Last edited by hly2006 at 2006-11-28 12:38 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 12:53:19 |Display all floors
Thanks a lot. You are pretty good!

I think I should make it 'this' western country rather than "a" because he is talking only about Australia.
Ofcourse its interesting to think of Australia as a western country (in terms of its development, social mores, etc) despite its location, in the East, and in Australasia. Development experts (usually from developing countries) like to talk of the (developed) countries of the North and the (underdeveloped) South. Again Australia is contradiction to that in geographical terms!

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help. (2 cents is too modest a value to attach to your frequent contributions!!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 23:46:28 |Display all floors
this is what my Professor finally okayed:

"As I see it (or it seems to me), the 'Westernness' of this society cannot change merely because  of an increase in immigrants from Asia."

Thanks for your help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-28 23:59:07 |Display all floors

As far as I can see, the western essentials of this country won't change with its Asian immigrants' flooding in

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.