Author: fromto

i want to have a english name. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-20 15:54:15 |Display all floors
A few suggestions:
        First, why not just stick to your Chinese name? Its nice, not difficult to pronounce, even for a foreigner. wending li. There, I did it! Foreigners need Chinese names because its not easy to write their original names in 汉字,but ANY name can be written in the English alphabet, so you don't really need to have an English name! In fact you should demand that all your collegues call you by your Chinese name, which is, after all, a name with a lot of meaning and something that your parents have chosen for you with a lot of care!!

2. Some english names that people choose are rather strange ones, which are either not very common today, or are never used as names.  So you may like Greek mythology, but to choose a name like Hercules or Goliath (!) or Demetor or Persephone may be sound a bit strange to the ear if you actually go out. So that way maybe a common name like David or Peter or Paul or Jack or Anne or Judy or Jodie or Theresa may be better.

3. Usually people don't choose names in English for their meaning. so don't go for that.

My final suggestion is ofcourse to keep your chinese name! No one would have heard of Mandela if he insisted on being called David Mann. The name Gandhi would never have become famous if Mahatma Gandhi had chosen an English name like Tom or John!

Best wishes!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-21 15:17:09 |Display all floors

My name is William, but I am considering a change now... I named myself after the famous snooker player, Mark Williams, but soon later I found the English Prince has the same name and he is a nasty playboy.
to my experience, though it's a failure, name is something a symbol, not a big deal, so just name yourself anything you'd like, something sounds great, easy to remember or just something bearing no concrete meaning but stunning, cooooool, eh? haha................... what about 'woody'?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-24 00:13:58 |Display all floors
When mentioned name,I have a question confused me. Did name really influence your career,love,life
or fate,or it is just a symbol? I eager to make it clearly-------------
I am rambling---------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-24 11:01:10 |Display all floors

Why do you need a Christian name?

Names like Robert or Joseph or David or Peter or Paul or Jack or Anne or Judy or Jodie  are Christian names or religion names coming from the Bible, and translated to English. They may be called differently in other languages, for instance, we say, Robert in English and Roberto in Italian, Joseph in English and Jose in Spanish.

Unlike European and north & south American countries in which the majority of the population are either Catholic or Protestant, Confucianism has had tremendous influence on the history of Chinese civilization for the last 3000 years, and reached far beyond the borders to Japan, Korea, Singapore, and Vietnam, which called Chinese culture or oriental culture. Chinese names play a big part of it!

Are you Christian? If yes, you may look at a list of Christian names and go to
http://www.catholicdoors.com/misc/names.htm. If not, why bother??

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.