Author: wchao37

So what's happening to Malaysia's Mahathir   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-8-23 00:52:57 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2018-8-22 15:39
The compensation could have been discussed and settled in private. Or it could be left to the busi ...

My reply is in the filters.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-23 18:58:13 |Display all floors
Personally I am against allowing him to unilaterally flaunt the rules on penalties for breach of contract, period.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-23 20:06:40 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-8-23 00:52
My reply is in the filters.

Mine's been censored out.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-23 21:14:27 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-8-23 21:23
markwu Post time: 2018-8-23 20:06
Mine's been censored out.

I read you, Mark.

The island nation of Tonga has already given notice that it is not going to repay its huge debt to China incurred in the same fashion that countries like Malaysia did.

Without one single exception all of these debtors sing praise to the eternal friendship between their countries and China and what's more -- praise China for its miraculous economic expansion.

In the case of Malaysia, it really doesn't take a genius to know that this is not right and that the Old Man is simply trying to wiggle out of his nation's breach-of-contract fees amounting 5.5 Billion Dollars.

We heard enough about their eulogies, now where is the hard money they owe us?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-24 01:09:49 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-24 05:42:54 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-8-23 21:14
I read you, Mark.

The island nation of Tonga has already given notice that it is not going to repa ...

I meant "amounting to..." in the typo.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-24 07:34:44 |Display all floors
Elsewhere and on his return, he said that:

1. He had set the principle on how to move forward but whether the projects will be cancelled, deferred or resolved through other means had yet to be established;

2. He added that he would like to cancel them but if cannot, he would like to defer and look towards other ways of solving the financial problems;

3. He believed his biggest achievement from his five-day trip to China was to convince Beijing that Malaysia was not being hostile to China but needed to put those projects on ice due to genuine financial concerns;

4. The projects have largely fallen under the ambit of his Finance and Economic Affairs Ministries and they are expected to play important roles in negotiating the details, and

5. He added the expected compensation was "very big" and will have to be hammered out in  future negotiations.

One hopes these were exactly what he had conveyed but fair enough, if the projects are stopped, contractual compensation must be paid for work already done and incidental costs incurred.

Furthermore, it's not just the four projects of ECRL, SSER, HSR and TSG but also other real-estate investments including office blocks, rail terminals and landed properties which have buoyed up the economy and that significant contribution by China must be as recognized as its being the biggest trading partner.

If his ministries can take fuller cognizance of the bigger picture in the balance of things and turn everything around on a proactive mode with China, China will be able to give his Vision2020 a push that can kick-start a new economic engine which Malaysia needs all the more if its peoples are to make real progress that is being hampered by cost-of-living income traps on the one hand, and the specter of a return on the other hand to the mono-racial administration of the past government that has devastated the country's treasury contributed by taxes paid by the peoples.

As for him, and given his age, his international legacy for the small country should be to quickly commit to an intra-Asian alignment that recognizes the preeminent role China will play by the timeline of destiny.

After all, there is still plenty of years to go in the Asian Century and that includes the emergence of the OBOR Eurasian investment and trade corridors that will add new arteries to humanity.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.