Views: 1946|Replies: 4

measure the drapes比喻什么? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-29 10:12:34 |Display all floors
With most Democrats now predicting that they will win control of the House of Representatives next month, Mr. Bush says they are wrong again.

He said, "The Democrats have made a lot of predictions. As a matter of fact, I think they may be measuring the drapes. If their electoral predictions are as reliable as their economic predictions, November 7 is going to be a good day for the Republicans."

measuring the drapes means what?
THX

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-29 10:24:57 |Display all floors
Simply it's inaccurate. Measuring the drape isn't an easy task to accomplish. Accuracy counts a lot.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-29 10:31:50 |Display all floors
------------
when someone is about to move in to a new apt, house or office, they like to change the drapes --- color & style, etc. or to get rid of cigarette smell in the curtains/drapes.
So the first thing to do is to measure the drapes so they can change them ==> meaning they WILL MOVE into the offices of senators/congressmen being elected.

That implies (predicts) the dem will win the seats.
THEN: in rare occasion, it can be wrong -- like they dropped out of escrow and cannot get the house.  Or something dramatically happen and they lost the seat -- once, the senator elected actually died a few days after he won.  We had one Sherrif who won and then died, so the second one on the ballot became the winner. But that is the exception.

[ Last edited by edchan at 2006-10-29 10:43 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-29 10:34:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by edchan at 2006-10-29 10:31
------------
when someone is about to move in to a new apt, house or office, they like to change the drapes --- color & style, etc. or to get rid of cigarette ...

Hah, I got it wrong. It's totally a cultural thing. I should have searched before I taught. Thank you.

[ Last edited by coolmax at 2006-10-29 11:17 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-29 11:05:34 |Display all floors
thank you all!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.