Views: 3481|Replies: 13

Invasion of privacy by "friend" ? How to handle it.... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-17 03:19:48 |Display all floors
I had a party at my house last Friday and invited quite a few friends over.  At some point during the party my friend Robert asked to borrow my laptop computer to check something online so I gave it to him.  Then
Marcel , the husband of another friend of mine joined him and I learned later that he was snooping in my
history file and saw some things on my PC I consider personal.  I guess the wife of Marcel saw a picture
of me that an ex-girlfriend of mine took and whispered in my ear that she liked my picture which shocked
me because I considered that personal.

I confronted Robert and told him I was upset and he claims that it was Marcel who did the snooping.  He
also said it was my fault for keeping personal stuff on my computer that was not well hidden.  I still consider Robert partly responsible because it was HE who I lent the computer to so he should not have allowed Marcel to snoop.  

I know they were drinking and just playing around but I am mad at the invasion of my privacy

Aside from never trusting them again, what should I do to  deal with this situation?  I am thinking of getting revenge on Marcel by doing the same thing to him someday but Robert says that would not be fair
because if I found something bad I might hurt his marriage.....

Should I just forget about it?

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2006-10-16 11:21 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 03:36:49 |Display all floors
take steps to prevent this sort of thing happening again mark as you just don't know who could get access to your personal files, there was a case here about four years ago when a laptop was stolen and the thief got access to the persons personal files and created havoc  with the persons contact list by ringing the numbers and telling the people at the other end that the person had been killed in a car accident, it was lucky that most of his friends knew he did not have a car, all you can realy do is let your friend know in the strongest terms how dissapointed you are in his actions and that it will be a while before you will be able to trust him again, try not to play the tit for tat game as it will only bring you down to their level and your better than that :)
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 09:20:01 |Display all floors
Stop them from spreading the news.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 09:32:08 |Display all floors

Thanks for the advice....

Yeah, I think I will let Marcel know that I was very unhappy with what he did especially since I had only given
Robert the authority to use my computer.  I will leave it alone after that.

I don't think they would dare to spread any rumors about me based on what they saw...

[ Last edited by mark069 at 2006-10-16 11:41 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 09:50:29 |Display all floors
Hope he will not do that, but that depends on what kinda person he is.

Your experience also warns me in that way, and I think I'd take some steps like this:
Firstly, Better not lend my laptop to anyone, as I seldom encode my personal files
Secondly, if I have to do it, I'll make sure the guy is reliable and won't spread any rumors, otherwise ,no way:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 09:59:44 |Display all floors
I don't like somebody else to access to my laptop, for it do has many personal files inside and I regard as privacy and none should approach into it.
But to this kind of friends, I think I will warn them not to spread the rumour, and I won't invite them for the second time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-17 10:05:33 |Display all floors
it shows thoughtfulness and maturity mark :) brainsnow the ones you would have to watch are female friends, now that computers have invaded every aspect of our lives, personal information will be the black market's next big item, if it is not already.
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.