Author: thunderbird

Many people from China settle down in Toronto, Ontario! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-1 15:36:55 |Display all floors

About Immigration, Nation Building and Welfare.

Canada [is] like a bridge which links China and America.
Canada is called the "paradise of the poor" by Chinese for it’s sound social security system and easy to get the visa and green card.

Imagine my annoyance on reading that!

I was eating in a Hong Kong restaurant once and the table next to mine was discussing about the relative merits of the social security systems of Australia and Canada for the purpose of migration. I was put off.

Immigration is about nation building. The Australians and Canadians are trying to build their nations, populating them with an eclectic and tolerant mix of potential citizens from diverse cultural backgrounds ( I assume that is what Australia wants, you never know with this lot ).

Social security is about helping the disadvantaged, about caring for those who have been left behind. It is at a premium cost to society, but worthwhile for a nation because one measure of civilisation is how well we take care of our disadvantaged.

In return the adoptive country gives immigrants the opportunites to work towards a better future for yourselve and promise you that should you become incapacitated, their social security system will help out.

You do not emigrate to a country in order to take advantage of its social security system. If the system breaks down because of abuse, you as an immigrant, would have contributed to the de-construction of a civilised society.

Aside from that, why would anybody with a good brain, a pair of good hands and the will to work and strife when there are opportunities, why in God's name would you want a hand out from the government? It would be demoralising, soul destroying, and it reveals your character as a lazy cheat who preys on society.

You abuse the trust of the Canadians so that you can use Canada to tunnel into USofA? My God!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 21:50:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by bornne at 2006-9-30 11:52
Canada is called the paradise of poor by Chinese .

for it’s sound social security system and easy to get the visa and green card  .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 21:52:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2006-10-1 15:36

Imagine my annoyance on reading that!

I was eating in a Hong Kong restaurant once and the table next to mine was discussing about the relative merits of the social security systems of Austra ...

I concur with your view.
:):)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 22:07:52 |Display all floors
Sponsors of new immigrants have to sign an agreement stipulating that they are responsible to look after their relatives welfares for ten years (financially). No welfare services can be claimed by new sponsored immigrants for ten years (new independent immigrants are excluded). All this "harsh" measures existed today are the results of many abuses done to the welfare system by the new sponsored immigrants in the past (Chinese is not the only ethnic group among the abusers).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 22:10:25 |Display all floors

I like Canada too~

I wish everyone healthy!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 22:43:46 |Display all floors
Originally posted by ivyfantasy at 2006-10-1 22:10

In general, this is how I see Canada:
Canada doesn't have too many super rich people like the states. Most of us are middle class people. We are very down to earth people. People with a big heart. We are very common indeed. We know how to enjoy our lives with simple pleasures and we are not that sophisticated when compared to the rest of the world. Just simple and clean living.

The Northern part of China shares so much similarites with Canada, I think I would like to live in that part of China someday in the future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-1 23:01:36 |Display all floors

I like Canada~~!!!

Could I say I am much simpler??~~~
I like Canada not because of its money or what~
An English teacher revered by all teachers and students in my university is from Canada~~~I like him and then I like Canada...This is part of the reason~~

I have friends from Canada...I like them and then I like canada...

Could such a reason be acceptable?

If not..I don't know the reason myself...I just like it....It is one of the countries I like~~~
Ah~~
I wish everyone healthy!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.